Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding comments to published document so that they won't be seen by our audience

Stephen Kairys June 3, 2021

Hi,

I'm editing a document in Confluence Cloud. It's been 2 1/2 years since I've done anything significant in this platform, so there's a bit of a re-learning curve. In addition, we were using Confluence Server in 2018 and are now on Cloud.

Questions as follows:

1) If a document is published and I add an inline comment, will end-users reading the doc see it? If so, how can I hide?

2) Does Confluence Cloud now support inline comments when in EDIT mode. I recall a lot of people were asking for this feature.\

PS: How do I know if I'm on the STANDARD product plan? Our URL ppdocs.atlassian.net

Many thanks,

Stephen

2 answers

2 votes
Irina_Bel_Stiltsoft_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 9, 2021

Hi @Stephen Kairys ,

Regarding your first question:

Our team's app, Talk - Advanced Inline Comments for Confluencecan help you to view all the comments on a page. You can navigate between them, or hide the comments bar when it's unnecessary.

2021-11-22_15-17-31 2.png

Also, the feature of our app, that might help with the second question, is the Talk Permission feature, which allows restricting comments only for the specific people or groups on a space level:

2021-11-21_22-23-42 2.png

However, you can override these restrictions for the individual comment:

image 2068.png

When restrictions are applied, even the Confluence admin can't see these comments.

I also think Comala Publishing is a great choice to give your readers a Confluence view of your Product Manual without the information about comments and edits. 

0 votes
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2021

If they have edit rights to the page, they will be able to see the comments.

And yes, you can now add edits inline

And are you paying for instance or on a free plan? If you are paying, you are on a standard plan.

>>And yes, you can now add edits inline.

How? I entered a comment when not in EDIT mode. Went into EDIT mode and it disappeared. 

Thanks.

And when I clicked CLOSE, the comment did not re-appear. Until I clicked on a button that said something like New content added 6/3/21. Strange........

And per our network admin:

We are paying for everything Confluence related.

Thank you.

Like Bill Bailey likes this
Stephen Kairys June 7, 2021

Hi I'd love to close this question but I have not received a complete answer per

• How to view/update comments in EDIT mode.
  • My first comment from my post of June 03, 2021.

Also, I just added a comment in View (not EDIT) mode. It seemed to be added. However, when I exited the page, went to another page, and came back, I could view the comment only when clicking on the highlighted text. Is this behavior expected? I would think that the comments would pop up automatically. Thank you!

Stephen Kairys June 9, 2021

Follow-up: It just occurred to me that the comment workflow (showing only one at a time) existed in Server when I was using it from 2016-2018.  It would be so helpful if all comments could auto-display (like they do in platforms such as Word and Google Docs). Could this suggestion be converted to a feature request?

Also, since I can add comments only in VIEW mode, it poses an issue. Suppose I had a sentence: "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs". I change "dogs" to "cats", save but do not publish.

I want my SME to review this change. However, it still reads dogs in VIEW mode, since I haven't published and can't publish b/c I'm not ready to share this doc with are audience. Is there a workaround for this roadblock?

Thanks.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events