Adding a screen recording to a page

Cathy November 24, 2020

Hi,

Can any one advise please how I can embed a screen recording into a confluence page?  This would be great to be able to include in our how to and troubleshooting articles.  I have upgraded our plan from standard to premium but still in the trial period for premium.

Many thanks,

Cathy 

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Cathy November 26, 2020

I have had this recommended, and it works a treat!  So easy!! 

https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/help/games-apps/game-setup-and-play/get-to-know-game-bar-on-windows-10

Just open it with the Windows key and G when you have the program you want to record open, then tap record. By default it will save to the Videos folder in your profile.

1 vote
Laurens Coppens
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2020

Hi Cathy,

Once in the edit mode of a page, you can just click the insert file or image button.

When you upload a video/screen recording there, it will embed the video on the confluence page.

Hope this helps.

Laurens

Cathy November 24, 2020

Thanks @Laurens Coppens   

What software would it be best to use to do the screen recording, I have tried adding a screen recording done in powerpoint but it doesn't seem to work.  Do you have any suggestions?  Would be great if we could do this in Confluence! :)

Many thanks,

Cathy 

Laurens Coppens
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2020

@Cathy  I'm not a screen recording expert but most video formats are supported in confluence.

You can find some more information on how to embed these: https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/display-files-and-images/

I mostly do screen recordings with quicktime as i'm an apple user.

Like Cathy likes this
0 votes
Patrick O_Connell November 24, 2020

Cathy,

If you're on Windows, I use a downloadable free utility called screen2webm to capture from the screen. It's a bit "fun" to find where it puts the videos. It also erases the last recording each time you create a new one.

I then use https://convert-video-online.com, also 100% free, to convert WEBM to MP4, which is the only kind of video Confluence allows you to embed.

I got into the habit of keeping all attachments no larger than at least what was the attachment limit of 10 Mb. We had a significant upgrade, recently.

The website I mentioned earlier actually has configurable settings such that you can say "Here's the size I need." Smaller file typically does mean lower video quality.

By hook or crook, once you have the MP4, you attach it to the page, and then you can just add it as you would a still image, or use the Multimedia macro.

Best,
Pat O'Connell
Technical Writer
MindGeek Montreal

Cathy November 25, 2020

Thanks @Patrick O_Connell  do you have the url for that screen recording  tool handy please? I can’t seem to find it on the web.

I read in an article that the Google drive app could do video, does anyone have any thoughts on that? 

Thanks so much for your help 

0 votes
Sajit Nair
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 24, 2020

Hi Cathy,
I would second Laurens suggestion. Please try it out and let us know if it doesnt work.

Regards-

SN

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events