Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add external Image inline via URL

mario October 7, 2019

Per the documentation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/display-files-and-images-724765104.html

There should be an option to Insert an image from an external URL, however that option is not available, only upload, giphy, dropbox, and google drive.

I'm trying to create a simple page that displays an external image that, without the URL changing, is updated regularly. This way the page can be reloaded on a regular basis and automatically shows the most recent image.

Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 3.18.38 PM.png

5 answers

3 votes
Nick Zimmerman July 7, 2021

The only way I've found that works consistently is to use the Easy HTML macro to insert markup into the page.

Once you add the macro, you can edit the content and put an img tag within a surrounding body and html tag. You can use the style attribute on the body tag to reserve the desired height and width for the image.

This is expecially useful if you are trying to embed an externally hosted image as the image details won't be available right away as the Confluence page renders so it won't automatically reserve space on the page for the image to later fill.

confluence-embed-image-macro.png

Hugo Allexis Cardona Escalante August 3, 2021

Beautiful solution, thanks

1 vote
Colin Smith April 5, 2021

Hi I believe you can achieve what you want using the insert IFRAME macro and then putting the URL of the image into the URL field.   It's a bit of a pain because you have to set the dimensions manually and that requires updates if your image size changes substantially but it worked for my UML diagrams okay. 

Screenshot 2021-04-05 at 10.14.56 AM.png

0 votes
Ferdy September 7, 2022

I require this feature for embedding badges from my CI in my documentation.

Using the iframe macro does not  work as the host of my CI is setting the "X-Frame-Options" response header to "deny".

0 votes
Josh Sickmeyer July 6, 2021

Is there a way to simply add raw HTML img?

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 10, 2019

Hello Mario,

Welcome to Atlassian Community. It's nice to meet you.

As you have discovered, this feature is not yet included in the new editor. We have a feature request for this below:

You can currently add an external image by right-clicking the image and select Copy Image. Then, you can paste that into your page. 

I tested this just now, and I can confirm that it does not just save a copy of the image to attachments, and when I preview the image it shows the URL on the external site.

I'm not sure how it will work when the image is updated externally, so could you give this a try and let me know how it goes? 

Regards,

Shannon

Carolina Cardoso March 10, 2020

Hi  @Shannon S , the copy paste "feature" doesn't work anymore... is there any additional solution? does the feature to add images from web have a SLA to be ready?

Thanks

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 10, 2020

Hi Carolina,

I'm sorry to hear that copying and pasting images from the internet isn't working on your site. I've tested it just now on my Cloud site, in the new editor, and I can confirm that it's still working for me.

I'm using Google Chrome to test. These are the steps I'm using to replicate.

1. Right-click the image and select Copy Image.
  2. Right-click in the open editor and select Paste.
  3. The image is directly attached to the page.

If that's not working for you, make sure you are using a supported browser

Alternatively, you can download the picture from the internet and attach it that way. In both cases it attaches the image directly to the page, creating a local copy on your Confluence site.

As for the feature request, there is not yet an expected date of release. The feature is currently in Gathering Interest state, so we know how many users this is affecting so that we can properly prioritize it. You can vote on the case to help us with our prioritization efforts.

Let me know if you have any trouble!

Shannon

QA Admin June 8, 2020

This feature is very important for services that dynamically share images like Gliffy Diagrams.  A link to a dynamically maintained PNG is created, and will update all of the consumers of that image if it can be maintained as a link in the page.  This used to work I believe.

Like # people like this
Henning Hoefer June 12, 2020

Copy&Paste is not a solution at all – it simply uploads the image to Confluence and misses every update to the original image. This is necessary for CI Build badges, Google Drawings etc.

Like # people like this
masayuki onishi July 5, 2021

Please revert back to far better previous editor. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events