It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Add external Image inline via URL

Per the documentation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/display-files-and-images-724765104.html

There should be an option to Insert an image from an external URL, however that option is not available, only upload, giphy, dropbox, and google drive.

I'm trying to create a simple page that displays an external image that, without the URL changing, is updated regularly. This way the page can be reloaded on a regular basis and automatically shows the most recent image.

Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 3.18.38 PM.png

1 answer

0 votes

Hello Mario,

Welcome to Atlassian Community. It's nice to meet you.

As you have discovered, this feature is not yet included in the new editor. We have a feature request for this below:

You can currently add an external image by right-clicking the image and select Copy Image. Then, you can paste that into your page. 

I tested this just now, and I can confirm that it does not just save a copy of the image to attachments, and when I preview the image it shows the URL on the external site.

I'm not sure how it will work when the image is updated externally, so could you give this a try and let me know how it goes? 

Regards,

Shannon

Hi  @Shannon_Spaniol , the copy paste "feature" doesn't work anymore... is there any additional solution? does the feature to add images from web have a SLA to be ready?

Thanks

Hi Carolina,

I'm sorry to hear that copying and pasting images from the internet isn't working on your site. I've tested it just now on my Cloud site, in the new editor, and I can confirm that it's still working for me.

I'm using Google Chrome to test. These are the steps I'm using to replicate.

1. Right-click the image and select Copy Image.
  2. Right-click in the open editor and select Paste.
  3. The image is directly attached to the page.

If that's not working for you, make sure you are using a supported browser

Alternatively, you can download the picture from the internet and attach it that way. In both cases it attaches the image directly to the page, creating a local copy on your Confluence site.

As for the feature request, there is not yet an expected date of release. The feature is currently in Gathering Interest state, so we know how many users this is affecting so that we can properly prioritize it. You can vote on the case to help us with our prioritization efforts.

Let me know if you have any trouble!

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

What project did you transition or start on Confluence with the shift to remote work?

It’s been great to hear from fellow users over the last few weeks about the best tips and fun moments you’ve had working on Confluence since the transition to working remote. I’d love to keep the c...

109 views 3 7
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you