Add a shared folder link

Marcus O'Brien May 21, 2021

Hi, 

I would like add a link to a file on my Confluence Cloud page, when clicked, have it perform the equivalent of a double click in Windows. If not at least open an Windows Explorer where the file is. The location of the file

\\10.10.10.10\folder1\folder2\FW-SW Development Process.mp4

I have tried adding the file: with various random slashes, but I cant close the insert URL box in the page editor. I presume its parsing the URL, and if its not valid I can't use it.

If this can't be done this way, what is the correct way to have files accessible from pages ? Is the only way to embed/attach the file ?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2021

While \\<server>\<path> links are valid as UNCs, they're not valid URLs (partly) because they refer to things that might not be on the network as others see it.  Confluence is a web application, when working with links, it rightly expects them to be valid URLs.

Confluence can't close the "insert URL" box because you have not given it a URL, you've only provided a UNC and those are not (always) URLs.  So, yes, you are spot-on - it's trying to parse a URL, getting an invalid one and "computer says no"

To make a file accessible from a page, yes, you can attach them, but you have a couple of other options - one is to serve the files up on a service that supports presenting them as proper urls, and the .other is to configure your browser to understand links of the form file://<server>/<path>.

Marcus O'Brien May 25, 2021

Haha yes "Computer says no", story of my life - I miss LB. Anyway awesome answer, thanks for the options. I will aim to get all these remote resources served properly so I can get URLs, as they are currently on a share, forgive my ignorance but what is the way to do that ? A HTTP File Server ? As these files are video could this also be done with a video streaming server ? Then we wouldnt need to download the files before playing, or would they not be URLs if it was streams ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2021

Yes, a video streaming service would probably be the most friendly option for your people!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events