Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add a link directing to a section of a page

Matias Andrés Castañón October 29, 2020

I'm finding myself looking for help here. I have a page created on my Confluence structure and I just included on the same page an Annex with some texts that I need to link to the main article. 

How can I create a link that, once you clicked on it, automatically "jumps" to an specific position on the page? The Link tool doesn't allow me to do it and I was looking for the archor tool but looks like it was removed. 

4 answers

22 votes
Ruben Buron January 14, 2022

I just discovered, just create an anchor in the place where you want to jump in the same Page and call it whatever you want, pick something easy, Ej: "MY-JUMP1"

Wherever you want to create a link to that section inside the Page, just create a normal link, put whatever you want in the text display, but in the link address just type "#" and the name of your anchor, Ej: "#MY-JUMP1", that creates the jump link to the place in your Page. 

Ibrahim Khadraoui April 5, 2022

Thanks @Ruben Buron! This is the solution I was looking for.

Like # people like this
Brett Costello May 23, 2023

Bump on this answer for a great answer that I couldn't find in documentation! 

Thanks!

Like # people like this
kobkan.kaewmongkol September 26, 2023

Great tip, thank you very much :-)

Timothy Olsen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 26, 2023

Any way you could post a short video of this? Thank you! Me and my coworker were just discussing this functionality

Randall Sindlinger
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 20, 2023

Worth noting that, at least in my interface, I need to go under the `+` drop-down to "other macros" and search for "anchor" there.

@Timothy Olson - hope that helps

Like # people like this
Nga Rampling
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 13, 2024

@Randall Sindlinger I tried this and had no result. Did you have to download it from the marketplace?

Lucas Bienaimé
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 20, 2024

Did you try to type /anchor? I don't think we have a specific marketplace plugin for this

Nga Rampling
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 20, 2024

@Lucas Bienaimé Yes I did and no item came up with the term 'anchor' in description. 

I just discovered that I can add Anchor in my Confluence page easily, but not Jira ticket. I wonder if it has been disabled at the admin level.

1 vote
ABoerio October 29, 2020

Hi @Matias Andrés Castañón the anchor macro is still there and cn be placed anywhere on your page, and the referred to.

See here for details 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/conf74/anchors-1003128455.html 

Given that you have to choose advanced, when you setup the link, in my opinion the biggest limitation I see is when you try to link to another page, because you need to use the page title in the URL, before the reference to the anchor.

Which is OK when you handle links from within your confluence instance. 

But when you setup links from outside Confluence, and you'd like to refer to the page ID (which is less likely to change, while the page title might change) it seems to not work. Or at least I haven't been able to make it work.

Ciao, Andrea

ABoerio October 29, 2020

OOps, sorry for this, I just missed that you were referring to the cloud version. Sorry.

0 votes
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 29, 2020

@Matias Andrés Castañón

I would recommend linking to a page header, since that's supported in Cloud. Check out the Link to a heading on a page or another page table section for how to do this.

Also, there is an improvement ticket that's in progress for adding the Anchor macro in Cloud: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-69198 but on their roadmap, they say they won't add it: https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/confluence-cloud-editor-roadmap/ 🤷🏻‍♂️

0 votes
Thomas Bowskill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2020

Hi @Matias Andrés Castañón 

I'd suggest using Headers and the Table of Contents Macro -- it's the easiest way to get the links visible and making those "jumps". Each Header creates an anchor on the page and the ToC displays them.

This page Insert links and anchors may also help :) 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events