Add Edit permissions for a restricted page

Alessio Tedesco
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 20, 2020

Hi, I need to add a user to view and edit a restricted page in a space where he has no access.

There are no permissions set for this user at the space level, but I need him to have the ability to viewe and modify a specific restricted page.

If I add him with view permissions, looks like there are no issues; if I set him with Edit permissions, this appears(look screenshot_1)screenshot_1.png

I can't add him at the space level with view all, because he would start seeing all the pages in that space and I don't want this.

screenshot_2.png

If I try to set it like screenshot_2, then the user disappears at individual permissions (space level)

Can you please provide me a solution to this

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2020

To do it "properly", this user needs to be able to see the page.  That means you will need to add them to the "view" permission for the space.

There are a couple of ways to "cheat" if you really don't want to give them the access they need.

• Move the page to a place they can edit, let them edit, then move it back.
  • Change the page so that it uses "include" for the part(s) of the page that they need to edit, put the page that your include uses in a space where they can see and edit them (as can the other people in this space)
0 votes
Alessio Tedesco
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 20, 2020

Thanks for the clarification but this is a strong limitation.

It is really against least privilege methodology, Devs from Atlassian should re-think about this.

0 votes
Nicolas Casel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2020

I confirm what @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  is saying: first of all, the user must be allowed to access the space. This is kind of a consequence of the 'wiki philosophy' based on openness and collaboration.

So, you need to consider the 'Restriction' feature in this way:

• by default, you grant permission to the whole wiki (all the pages) = if a user is granted access, s/he can access to the whole wiki
  • then, for a specific page, you add a restriction = only one or some users / groups (that you select) can access (only reading or editing) to this specific page. If you limit the reading ("View") to certain users, all other users will NO longer be allowed to access to this specific page and its child pages
  • and based on group permissions, you can limit what actions users can do (e.g. delete pages, change labels, etc.) in the whole space

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events