Active Directory SSO / Directory without Administrator privileges

Christopher Wojciech September 20, 2015

Hi there, 

is it possible to establish a connection between our active directory and confluence without an administrative user? Our IT Staff is not really happy about providing a service with an AD Administrator Account. (see https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/connecting-to-an-ldap-directory-229838241.html

I want to be able to have the users automatically logged in with their windows credentials. 

Can you help me? 

best chris 

2 answers

2 votes
Guilherme V.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 21, 2015

Hi Christopher

You can enable the Anonymous Bind in your AD. Confluence supports the AD binding, so you won't need to log into Confluence with your  AD admin credentials.

Cheers,

Ian Bonfant
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 21, 2015

What a timely conversation! We're currently evaluating the JIRA Agile software package, and the same concern was raised in meetings with our IT partners. Guilherme - I assume the same AD binding feature is available in JIRA Agile, correct? Also, do you know why the synchronization process includes the "unicodePWD" field?... are Users' passwords being pulled into JIRA and stored there? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

Guilherme V.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 22, 2015

Hey Ian, Not sure if JIRA Agile has the same feature, but JIRA totally supports the Anonymous bind as well. Since I'm a "Confluence guy", I don't know so much about JIRA. It would be interesting to add a more topics related to JIRA. But on Confluence side it works fine without storing any password in the database :).

Ian Bonfant
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 22, 2015

Thank you, good sir! Appreciated!

0 votes
Deleted user September 23, 2015

You don't have to have use and administrator if you don't wish to. instead, you can set up a dedicated user in AD which only has the necessary permissions you (or your IT team) wish to give it, then use that when configuring the directory in confluence. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events