Activate mobile view for space on mobile web browser? (No sidebar)

Alex Chan August 18, 2017

For some reason when viewing on a mobile browser, the sidebar cannot be eliminated. Is there anything I can do as an administrator to get it to adapt to a proper mobile view without sidebar? 

Thanks,

-Alex 

FullSizeRender 7.jpg

1 answer

1 vote
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2017

Hi Alex,

I just tested my Cloud site with New Look on my iPhone 7S, and I had the view you did at first, and then I clicked the Switch to Mobile option at the top. Now I'm able to view the page in the mobile version (although it won't be using the New Look).

Are you able to use that option to view the Mobile Version? If you no longer have the option you can go to https:///esportsbestpractices.atlassian.net/wiki/plugins/servlet/mobile to force the mobile version.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Alex Chan August 29, 2017

Hi Shannon, 

You mean iPhone 7 plus? 

I don't see the "Switch to Mobile" option at the top. Again I want to look at it in either iOS safari or Chrome, not the confluence app (I need this so people who don't have the app can see mobile view).

Is there some way I can redirect my domain to confluence and have it automatically the mobile or desktop version as applicable? This is important for me if I am going to stay on Confluence. 

Thanks,
-Alex 
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 30, 2017

Silly me, yes - I meant iPhone 7 (plus). 

But when you're on the desktop only version you will see the option. Part of the share menu on iOS also allows you to request the desktop version, and so you could try this and then see if it gives you the Switch to the Mobile option I let you know about.

You can indeed force your site to load Confluence first. If you go to Site Administration > Application Access and click the *User Defaults* button:

Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 11.10.41 AM.jpg

You can see you can set the homepage to Confluence instead of JIRA. 

It should generally load mobile/desktop as applicable depending on what your device is telling the server.

Since yours seems to be loading directly to the Desktop version, can you access via this URL and see if it goes to Mobile instead:

https:///esportsbestpractices.atlassian.net/wiki/plugins/servlet/mobile

Kind Regards,
Shannon

John Featherby August 30, 2017

Hi Shannon,

I'm having the same problem here as Alex.

I'm on a trial. I am using Chrome from a Pixel on Android.

When I go to the URL from my phone it loads the desktop version, not the mobile one.

I expect a number of external, public users to access our wiki on confluence, so it needs to respond to mobile first time each time (if they're using a mobile) ideally without an additional step (switch to mobile).

I can't see anywhere on the page that loads the option to "switch to mobile" - but even if there was that - what can I do to ensure that it properly recognises that I'm already on a mobile?

is there a setting somewhere that means it's not behaving responsively?

Many thanks,

John

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 30, 2017

Hi John,

Thank you for confirming. Let me find out about that for you two - it is odd if you're both experiencing. I physically tested with Alex's instance on my iPhone, but I don't have an Android to test with. I will see if we have any other reports!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 30, 2017

@John Featherby and @Alex Chan - 

I'm letting the team behind the new look know about the mobile version, but as I mentioned earlier I believe it's intended since the new look doesn't yet support mobile.

I've tested on a few more instances, and if you load the link I provided earlier then it will send you to the mobile version of your site.

Otherwise, at this time only the app versions are supported on mobile devices.

Can you both confirm if you're able to load the mobile site by entering SITENAME.atlassian.net/wiki/plugins/servlet/mobile? 

Thank you!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Alex Chan August 30, 2017

That link doesnt' work for me unfortunately. This is what I get when navigating here:

esportsbestpractices.atlassian.net/wiki/plugins/servlet/mobile

IMG_0204.PNG

John Featherby August 30, 2017

@Shannon S that did load something for me (see below) so I guess it's worked. The mobile version seems to major on "most popular" and "most recently viewed". If you came here as a first time user you wouldn't know that labels might be a feature - for me, labels are a key component of my wiki as I'm using it as a case study knowledge base with users often searching by particular disciplines (which I have labelled), like "strategy" "governance" etc. The search function is not very visible on the mobile version either.

But, that feedback aside, to confirm:

1) you are saying that currently there is no auto responsive mobile version with the "new look" Confluence? (I only looked at Confluence last week, so I'm afraid I have no experience with the previous version).

2) as such, the only two default options from a mobile is to see Confluence in desktop form or to download the app

2b) The mobile version can be seen if force loaded by manually entering the URL you have provided, but the average user isn't going to do that/know the URL

3) it is Atlassian's intention to make Confluence mobile responsive in due course, but we don't know exactly when that will be.

Is that correct?

Out of interest, how long as the "new look" Confluence been up and running? Just trying to gauge how long it's been live with no mobile responsive functionality.

Best,

John

Screenshot_20170830-234547.png

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 31, 2017

Hi John,

1. Correct. Currently, there is no mobile version of the New Look Confluence. 
  2. Yes, the two supported options are viewing the desktop version or using the mobile app. Yes, you will need to force the mobile page if you wish to use that instead. As it is not officially supported, however, I highly encourage you to install an app version. 
  3. I do not currently have information on the team's intention on when to release a compatible mobile version for the New Look.
  4. For your final question, we started allowing users to test it out in July of this year. Only until recently has it been more actively rolled out to Cloud customers. 

@Alex Chan regarding the mobile site not displaying your content, since it is not fully supported with the New Look Confluence, this may be the reason it's not displaying all your data, provided you have access to the pages that should be displayed there. Ultimately, I do recommend that you switch to the mobile app for now until there has been a version of the mobile site that is supported.

Thank you!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

John Featherby August 31, 2017

OK, many thanks for the clarification. Good to know it's only been recently rolled out and not been many months without becoming responsive. Fingers crossed it's high on the to do list...

You've been very helpful,

John

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 31, 2017

No worries, John! Happy to answer your questions.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Alex Chan August 31, 2017

Shannon, 

Thanks for the clarification. Just for your FYI the only reason I'm on Confluence was that I wanted a good looking wiki format that could be publicly viewable on mobile so folks can easily navigate. So super unfortunate that the mobile browser version isn't supported. 

Is there any way to roll back to the last version so mobile view is possible on web browser? 

Thanks,

-Alex 

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
September 1, 2017

Hi Alex, 

There is not a way to roll back, but the new look is constantly being worked on and updated and in the future, it should be more responsive when it comes to loading the page on mobile devices. 

In the meantime, you can use the app as I suggested and you will be able to use Confluence as normal.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events