Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activate Arrow to Expand Page Tree

Stephen Kairys April 6, 2016

On an existing Wiki page, the page tree allows me to expand pages that contain child pages e.g.

ExpandItemOnPageTree.PNG

when I click the rightarrow next to "General Information", I see the child pages.

However, in another space, I do not see the rightarrow next to "expandable" pages.

How to activate?

Thanks,

Steve

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Monika Antos [Adaptavist] April 7, 2016

The sidebar is not controlled by the content of the page. It depends on the theme that is selected for a space (some themes don't have that sidebar at all). If both of your pages are in the same space, then the sidebar should look the same - it will just unwrap to show you the position of the page that you are currently looking at.

If you're working in different spaces, then there is a chance that your sidebar settings are different, or the theme is.

More on that here: 

Sidebar: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/configure-the-sidebar-317194694.html

Themes: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/apply-a-theme-to-a-space-139535.html 

0 votes
Monika Antos [Adaptavist] April 6, 2016

If you don't see an arrow, it means that that page has no child pages, so there is nothing to display.

Stephen Kairys April 6, 2016

Monika, 

Thanks for your response. However, the page definitely has child pages. When I click on the parent page's name (NOT the arrow, which does not exist), I see the child pages.

Maybe there's some setting that controls this behavior?

Steve

Monika Antos [Adaptavist] April 6, 2016

Hmmm... it may be a bug, but I can't reproduce it.
Try to open the page and see if the page tree macro has been configured properly (double click on the macro to edit its attributes). Make sure that it uses proper root page, and so on. If nothing helps, report an issue to Atlassian.

Cheers!

Stephen Kairys April 7, 2016

Monika,

OK you may be on to something. 

For the page that works correctly, the sidebar contains the header Page Tree.

For the page that does not work correctly, the sidebar contains the header Child Pages.

Both pages have a Children Display macro, not a Page Tree macro. As far as I can tell, both macros have teh same setting.

What do I look for next? The underlying issue must be the related to Page Tree vs. Child Pages.

Thanks,

Steve

Ah, that explains everything smile. Children display macro by default shows you only the immediate children of the page - without the option to drill down. If you want that drill down feature, you need to edit the page and replace the Children display macro with the page tree macro. 

More about the macros here:

Children display: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/children-display-macro-139501.html

Page tree: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/page-tree-macro-163414255.html

Cheers,
Monika

Yes, that's what I thought, too.smile  However, the screenshot below shows that the "page that works" also contains the Children Display Macro, not Page Properties.

ChildrenDisplayMacroOnly_NotPageTreeMacro.PNG

Interestingly, though, this page used to contain a Page Properties macro before someone changed to Children Display

Does any of the above make sense? Thanks!

Steve

children display doesn't provide that drill down capability, so unless this is coming from an excerpt (included content from a child page), I'm not sure why you see that arrow.

Still, I would go ahead and replace that with the page tree and that should do the trick.

The page that works, and the page that does not, have "explanations" of each menu choice via Excerpt macros in the child pages.

I will try the Page Tree Macro and report back with results. Thanks!

OK, forgive my confusion...I'm still relatively new to Confluence. smile

When I stated that the "page that works" previously contained a "Page Tree" macro, I meant "Page Properties Report". I do not recall seeing a Page Tree macro in that page; then again I've worked for the client less than three months and it's possible it previously existed.

In any event, I added the page tree macro, but it did not do what I needed.

1. The tree appears within the page itself; I need it on the left sidebar, which is the case in the page that works.
  2. On my first attempt, I did not specify the root page, so the root page became the roof of the space. In addition, the left sidebar flowed of the screen to the left.

Thanks,

Steve

OK, I'll try the configure-the-sidebar link. Thank you...that makes sense.

Oh yes! That solution worked! smile I changed from Child Pages to Page Tree.

All is good.  I think this whole exercise proves that the best way to learn an application is to use it! smile

PageTreeWorksAfterConfigureSidebarThankYou.PNG

How do I convert your last comment to an answer? 

Thanks,

Steve

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events