Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessibility of Public Confluence Spaces

Allison Beaudry December 21, 2020

Hi there,

We are implementing Confluence Cloud as a database for user manuals. My question is this:

-How accessible to the general public are Confluence pages set to "public"?

-Are they searchable in any search engine, or is a unique URL required to access it?

-Would our Spaces be easily accessible/searchable by any Confluence or anonymous user?

Thanks,

Allison

2 answers

1 vote
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 22, 2020

Hi @Allison Beaudry

If you're looking for pages to be indexed by search engines, with a custom URL, you might want to check out my team's app Scroll Viewport. The idea behinds it is to be able to turn all your documentation in Confluence into an online help center without needing to write code or run a web server. Here's ours, as an example.

Allison Beaudry December 22, 2020

Actually, it is preferable for us if the information isn't super accessible via an internet search engine. We are trying to avoid having unnecessary user costs by making the page public, but would prefer the information be accessible only through a custom URL. Any thoughts on this?

0 votes
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 21, 2020

@John Tolle was commended on answering this question in Random Acts of December.

Thanks to his hard work and knowledge I can give you the following link that talks about public links (a special URL) that directs to safe, view-only versions of an individual Confluence page. The public link can be shared with anyone on the internet. 

https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/set-up-public-access/

Allison Beaudry December 21, 2020

Ok, I am having difficulty turning on Public links in Settings. According to the article you linked (see screenshot), I should see "public links" on the left side of the screen in Settings. However, I do not see this option. 

Please advise, thank you!

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 5.10.08 PM.png

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
December 22, 2020

Sorry I am unable to help with troubleshooting. Check out @Matt Reiner _K15t_'s reply below. It may be more helpful. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events