Access to MS SQL Server failing on new instance setup

Kevin Buchs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2013

I was trying to recover a lost space through MS SQL Server snapshots. I did this: installed MS SQL Server Express on my machine. Created a local account for Confluence. Attached the snapshot. Looks good from a cursory view of the tables. Access works for the Confluence login using MS SQL Server Management Studio with tcpip protocol.

I installed Confluence 4.3 standalone (different from our other EAR/WAR install, but thought it would be easier), inserted our license and came to the database configuration. I could not get the database setup to succeed. I tried both jdbc:jtds and microsoft drivers. I copied both of those drivers' .jar files into Confluence's lib dir and restarted Confluence. I tried these connect strings:

1. jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://localhost:1433/Confluence

Error: Configuring the database failed. Couldn't create the database schema. java.sql.SQLException: Network error IOException: Connection refused: connect

2. jdbc:sqlserver://localhost:1433;databaseName=Confluence;

Error: Configuring the database failed. Couldn't create the database schema.Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 1.6 is not supported by this driver. Use the sqljdbc4.jar class library, which provides support for JDBC 4.0.

(Note, I had downloaded the MS 4.0 driver!)

Any suggestions?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Amalia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2013
You need to insert this:
jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://<server>:<port>/<database>;instance=SQLExpress
Change the instance name from SQLExpress to something else if you name it differently.
Kevin Buchs
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2013

Thanks - this worked

0 votes
Luis Mayora
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2013

I guess you need to find the connection for the SQLExpress instance.

jdbc:sqlserver://localhost\sqlexpress:1433;databaseName=Confluence

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events