Ability to have user access only select pages in a space (Confluence)

We use Confluence as the wiki for Engineering group. For the most part, each space (about 8 of them) are locked down to just members of the Engineering team. There are times though when we want to give someone outside of the department (e.g. Marketing) access to certain pages inside a given space. The only way I can see doing this would be to give the outside user access to the space and then put restrictions on all the pages we DON'T want them to have access to. This obviously won't work as we already have hundreds of pages. Am I missing something we can do to facilitate this?

Thanks!

3 answers

Hello There,

Based on your comment you're doing what can be done in this case and what is recommended - give the access to the space and then work with the page restrictions - this is the default for Confluence and unfortunately there's no other way to configure the access in your selected pages inside a space.

As a workaround and as you mentioned that you have hundreds of pages, I would suggest you to create separated spaces for these folks (Marketing, etc.) and then move the pages that they need to access to these spaces, so just the people that needs to access these pages will have access to these spaces, IMHO this would be easier than apply restrictions in hundreds of pages.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

LJ.

Thanks for the response, LJ. Is there a way to reference or better yet "mirror" a page in two different places? The problem with moving is that the info on page may be better suited in Space A but would like to have Space B access it's content (without having to put restrictions).

Hallo Fender4645 and LJ

To mirror a page, you can use the Include Page macro.

You could put the pages that more people can see into space A.

Then in space B, put the restricted pages, and also add a page for each of those in space A, with an Include Page macro that will display the content from space A.

Here is the documentation for the Include Page macro:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Include+Page+Macro

Cheers

Sarah

Hi There,

Unfortunately not, I agree with you that this would be a good feature and also would work for us here, but actually is not possible to mirror a page or reference, natively in Confluence.

If the page is better suited in Space A, then you could keep the page in this space (Space A) and so just copy the page to the Space B, but without moving. So you could keep the page in both spaces (A and B), and if needed you can edit the page in the Space B to have only the information needed for the people who will access the Space B. Does this works for you?

This is what can be done natively in Confluence, another option here would be a customization, but probably some development would be needed. If you want to try some kind of customization to achieve this goal, then I would recommend you to make a contact with an Atlassian Expert, that would be able to provide you a better assistance to customize your Confluence pages as you need. You can find an Atlassian Expert(certified partner) in the following link:

http://www.atlassian.com/resources/experts

Regards,

LJ.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Published 14 hours ago in Confluence

Think you know shares vs. @mentions in Confluence? Take this collab quiz.

To anyone who doubts that Atlassians are a little too obsessed with collaboration, and tools related thereto, let me describe a recent discussion we had (which took place on our internal Confluence, ...

99 views 2 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you