Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

504 error after IP change

Ben Stone June 9, 2021

Hi,

I'm hoping someone here can help as I've about run out of ideas. We currently run a couple of Confluence instances, one for testing, one in production. They both run on Centos, and have been running fine.

We are currently in the process of a network migration, during which I have to change the IP address of the Confluence servers. When I change the IP of these servers I can get to the log in screen fine, however when I try to log in I get a 504 gateway timeout error.

I can still log in as admin, so I know the server is up. The issue only seems to affect LDAP users. Every now and again I find that the login completes just fast enough to not get the 504 error, so I know that in theory there are no network, or routing issues. 

As soon as I change the IP back, the gateway timeout goes away, and users can log in again instantly.

My guess is that something is caching the old IP address somewhere, but I've gone through every log file, and config file I can find, and I've not found anything. Basic ping tests show that DNS is resolving to the correct IP.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

Thanks,

Ben.

1 answer

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2021

@Ben Stone Welcome to the Atlassian Community.

If you are able to log in utilizing the local Jira directory but are timing out on LDAP it sounds like a routing issue.  Can you traceroute the request from Jira to your LDAP server?  Sounds like the request is routing back to the old instance.  I am assuming that the LDAP server is using the hostname to connect and this is routing to the old IP address.

Also what are you seeing in the Jira logs?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events