404 when trying to upload attachments

When I try to upload an attachment that is greater than about 30MB, I get a 404 at the 98% upload mark. Has anyone else seen this? I've tried attachments of sizes from very small (a few k) to over 40MB, and every time one of them is larger than 30MB, it fails in this manner with the browser redirecting to a 404 error page.

My attachment file size limit is set to 200MB, connection timeouts are turned off (set to 0, which makes them essentially infinite), and I have set the upload attachments to use the file system rather than storing in the database.

3 answers

1 accepted

I ran in to the same issue and was thrilled to see this answer since I'd been scratching my head on this one for most of the afternoon. However, there is no mention of an actual fix for the problem at hand. Not complaining, just wanting to help. In IIS 7.5, you can update the value for file uploads to be up to 2 GB by opening the IIS Manager, selecting the IIS Server and double clicking the "Configuration Editor" in the bottom section.

Once this opens, in the section drop down, you'll want to navigate to the system.webServer/security/requestFiltering section of the config. Expand the requestLimits sub-item and then update the maxAllowedContentLength value to whatever is appropriate.

It can sometimes be caused by any third party plugin installed on the instance.

I'd suggest you giving a try enabling the plugin safe mode and try to upload the file once again.

If you still face any further issues I'd suggest you to raise a ticket at support.atlassian.com.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Sorry I never posted a follow up to this... Turns out our IIS proxy was limiting file sizes of uploads.

IIS proxy was limiting file sizes of uploads.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jul 10, 2018 in Confluence

We want to see the templates you've created in Confluence!

Hi Community, Jessica here from the Confluence Product Marketing team!  July’s community challenge is all about sharing pictures  — and as an extension of our first post on what ...

995 views 23 13
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you