Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

404 not found after server reboot. Confluence 3.5

It Dept December 5, 2017

I inherited an older version of Confluence Server 3.5. After a server reboot, the Confluence login page does not display. Instead, it's giving a 404 Apache Tomcat error. 

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
It Dept December 6, 2017

Thank you for your suggestions Ann and Peter. Looks like I've got it worked out.

Turned out there was a redundant reference to an AD server in the Userconfig xml. After removing the second entry, I was able to restart the service to get it going again. I also had to reapply the redirector dll in IIS.

Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2017

Thanks for stopping back and adding your solution

0 votes
Le Minh Hieu June 13, 2018

I cannnot log in confluence 6.0.1 after restart server

This localhost page can’t be found

HTTP ERROR 404

I find log

12-Jun-2018 14:42:02.676 WARNING [ContainerBackgroundProcessor[StandardEngine[Standalone]]] org.apache.catalina.valves.StuckThreadDetectionValve.notifyStuckThreadDetected Thread "http-nio-8798-exec-5" (id=173) has been active for 61,243 milliseconds (since 6/12/18 2:41 PM) to serve the same request for

Please help me. Thanks

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 5, 2017

Please check the logs at:
<confluence_install>/logs/ (anything recent in this directory)
<confluence_home>/logs/atlassian-confluence.log
Note: The <confluence_home> directory is the path defined in the following file: <confluence_install>/confluence/WEB-INF/classes/confluence-init.properties

Find today's startup and scroll down the log until you find an ERROR message. If the message isn't obvious, please post it here so we can help.

If you are running Windows, you might try this to isolate the issue:

1. Stop the service in services.msc 
  2. Open an elevated command prompt.
  3. Change directories to <confluence_home>/bin.
  4. Run the batch file, start-confluence.bat.
  5. Do not close the resulting command window as that will shut down Confluence.
  6. Wait for the line "Confluence is ready to serve" in the atlassian-confluence.log then see if you can access Confluence in the browser.

If you can access Confluence when starting with the batch file then the service may be the culprit.

It Dept December 5, 2017

There wasn't a start-confluence.bat, but there is a start.bat. Maybe they had it named this way because it's an older version.

0 votes
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2017

@It Dept, check to make sure Tomcat is indeed running.  Are you running a proxy for Confluence?  If it's on the same server that may be the issue too.

.pd

It Dept December 5, 2017

As far as I can see, there is only one service related to Tomcat called "Apache Tomcat Confluence" and it is running. I don't believe there is a proxy for it.

Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2017

OK, that's the right service.  

A few troubleshooting thoughts:

1. Check the logs to see if there is anything strange.
  2. Make sure you are using HTTPS / HTTP whichever is appropriate.
  3. Was confluence configured to require the port to be specified?
  4. Can you access Confluence directly from the server?  You may need to update the hosts file your web address at localhost.
  5. .pd
It Dept December 5, 2017

No access to Confluence from the server. Localhost is set to the loopback address.

Errors I see in the log are...

2017-12-05 16:14:37,862 ERROR [Thread-1] [ContainerBase.[Standalone].[localhost].[/confluence]] log Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class com.atlassian.confluence.upgrade.UpgradeLauncherServletContextListener
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.atlassian.spring.container.ContainerManager.getComponent(ContainerManager.java:32)
at com.atlassian.confluence.upgrade.UpgradeLauncherServletContextListener.contextInitialized(UpgradeLauncherServletContextListener.java:24)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:3972)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4467)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1045)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:785)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1045)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:443)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:519)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:710)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:581)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:289)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:414)
2017-12-05 16:14:37,862 ERROR [Thread-1] [apache.catalina.core.StandardContext] log Error listenerStart
2017-12-05 16:14:37,862 ERROR [Thread-1] [apache.catalina.core.StandardContext] log Context [/confluence] startup failed due to previous errors

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events