4 eye principle

Chris Ackermans August 26, 2022

Hi, I have the following use-case.

I would like the person editing or drafting a page, NOT to be the one who is allowed to publish this change or this new page.

So when I edit a page, I should not be allowed to publish this change, even if the original page is actually drafted (or published) by myself.

When I draft a page, I also should not be allowed to publish it myself.

So this is not dependent on the permissions of the people (2 people will both need drafting and publishing rights), but based on who makes step 1 a workflow (or in a logical process).

Is there such a workflow (restriction) available?

1 answer

0 votes
marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2022

Hi @Chris Ackermans ,

As far as I know, such a workflow is not available.

However there is a possible alternative:  Have 2 spaces: a draft space, and a published space.  Together with Confluence restrictions, you can achieve something similar to your description.  Some of our customers for Document Control for Confluence Cloud use this method to separate drafts, work in progress, and published documents.

Chris Ackermans August 29, 2022

Thanks Marc!

Shame it is not available.

Your workaround is understandable, but not very intuitive.

Follow-up question therefore, (how) can I see which person drafted the document and which person published it? 
If that information is available, I can tackle the 4-eye canundrum via an internal audit flow.

Thanks

marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2022

In principle, you can see who authored and changed a document through an edit. 

This information is available through the API, and with an addon like our Document Metadata.

However there is no detailed trail of edits when a document is in draft state.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events