evaluate your product for one of our usecase

Pavani January 20, 2020
  • we are trying to evaluate your product for one of our usecase
  • it would be great if you can help me in understanding the tool functionality in detail
  • usecase is with respect to document management
  • we would like to store our documents and use them based on our requirements, like sharepoint
  • we want to organise our documents
  • we also like to know the process of integrating the software with our applications
  • like API access to your software

2 comments

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2020

Confluence is a wiki, not a document management system (where documents go to die), so it's not really possible to answer most of your questions with other than "it's not for that".  Ideally, you should be looking to import your static documents into pages so that they become active and immediately available to end users.

It is not "like sharepoint" and if you just attach documents to pages, you will not be getting any of the benefits Confluence offers.

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/confeval/confluence-evaluator-resources/confluence-confluence-vs-sharepoint for a good overview of the differences, and  https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Confluence-vs-Sharepoint-What-s-the-difference/qaq-p/539092 for a good discussion of the differences. 

The last question is directly answerable though: To "integrate" it with other applications, use the REST API as per https://developer.atlassian.com/server/confluence/confluence-server-rest-api/

Like # people like this
Deleted user April 5, 2020

@Pavani 

I suggest you get over the old document concept and focus on information. Confluence allows you to manage information. I say that information is liquid, and can take many forms, like water, depending on the container. While a document inside sharepoint (which I know just as well and as before Confluence and sharepoint I knew lotus domino very well) is a container that stiffens the content. The information is folded to the container. Take a step forward and go beyond the old concept of the "word" or "pdf" document. Today information is liquid: web pages, chat, sms, even videos don't you think ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2020

Confluence works way beyond your old and tired ideas of Sharepoint (where documents go to die), Slow Toss Notes and the rest.  It is, at heart, still a wiki

It's content is as liquid as you suggest it should be, in my experience.  I suggest that you get over the old document concept, focus on information and adopt the use of wikis such as Confluence.

Like Deleted user likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events