Where can I find more information on the integration between Confluence and AWS Kendra

henkjanborghuis May 18, 2020

Hi,

I recently saw the introduction vids of AWS Kendra. The was a suggestion that there is an integration available between Confluence and AWS Kendra.

As I'm looking into ways to make the Confluence search really work for its users, I was wondering whether this might be the answer.

However, I can't find any information from both Atlasssian and AWS about this integration. Is there anyone who can guide me into the right direction? 

5 answers

2 votes
Chris Merrigan November 5, 2020

AWS recently announced integration between Amazon Kendra and Confluence server.

The blog post with more details is available here - https://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats-new/2020/10/amazon-kendra-adds-confluence-server-connector/ 

1 vote
henkjanborghuis May 18, 2020

Hi @Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ ,

Thanks for your response.
This is already a lot more information than I found myself. 

So it seems that I got a bit too excited by the logo in that first video you refer to. 

Great suggestion about the partner manager; I will contact my colleague about this. 
Let's see what my colleague can find out.

The idea itself (unlock your Confluence documentation via AWS Kendra) seems great though. 

Kind regards,
Henk

0 votes
Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2020

Absolutely, I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a killer solution for every organization that can afford the Kendra price tag, which seems notable at first sight, but will likely pale compared to the productivity increase if the improvements to search usability and quality live up to the promise.

That's also why I dug a bit deeper, because we would very much like to add such higher value user level integrations to our (Utoolity) so far more developer/administrator oriented app portfolio with AWS integrations for Atlassian.

The required mature ETL processes for such a connector are non-trivial to implement though, and obviously it's hard to compete with free offerings by AWS and Atlassian ;)

0 votes
Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2020

Hi Henk Jan, Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

There is no mention of Confluence anywhere I'm aware of outside of it being listed on a slide in the one introductory video I watched a few weeks ago (links to ~08:38):

Specifically the presenter states that (paraphrased) "It's gonna have 17 of the native connectors supported in 2020", then mentions the most obvious candidates like S3, web crawlers, Salesforce, Sharepoint, and Box. However, Confluence is absent as an option from the connector configuration screen later in the demo (links to ~10:16):

Given this, I would expect the connector to still being worked on, and AWS in particular is notoriously secretive regarding more details and ETAs before something is actually available, so I'm afraid it's going to be difficult to get any more public information other than 'sometimes later in 2020'.

That being said, Atlassian and AWS are high level strategic partners by now, so if you are either an Atlassian or AWS partner yourself, you may be able to persuade your partner manager to connect you to the resp. product teams, because both are known to be keen on working with early adopters while developing new solutions like this.

Be prepared for a side problem though. The most recent AWS Atlassian integration has been the AWS Service Catalog Connector, and they managed to release the Cloud version via Atlassian and the Server version via AWS, despite initially providing the same feature set with an almost identical UI - this is an odd choice to say the least, has been confusing from the get go, and of course the apps have started to diverge right away (incl. the name), with the Server version supported by AWS seemingly having more momentum and considerably more thorough documentation, go figure:

Cheers,
Steffen

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events