When I link within the page, it opens another instance of the document

Deleted user February 18, 2022

Hi, 

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I'm using the Enterprise cloud version of Confluence. I'm linking to an anchor within my document.
I've created a "manual TOC" because I only want links to specific parts of my document. (all in one or two sections, not the whole document). 

I created the Anchor just above the heading that I want to link to because I found otherwise, the heading is missing from the jump. In my link, I use the hash tag# in front of the anchor name. 

E.g.   Heading name "(A) Topic One"  ;   Anchor name "A_Topic_One"  ; the link "#A_Topic_One"

I also have a "back_to_TOC" under the link that was jumped to that takes the reader back to my manual TOC. (That seems to behave like I would expect, not opening an additional copy.)

When I click on the link there is a little latency, then it opens the page and jumps to the link. The problem is that it opens a new instance of the page. So after I've linked several times my tabs look like: 'Other Document', 'Linking Doc', 'Linking Doc', 'Linking Doc'.

Every time I link to somewhere in the page it opens another Linking Doc. I don't see any parameters that say to open in another tab or another document. I don't seem to have an option to control this.

Does anyone know how to make it jump to an anchor on the page without opening another document?

Thanks in advance,

Kirk

1 comment

David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 22, 2022

Hi Kirk

I've made you a video to show exactly how to do this in Confluence Cloud:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbfbpCrYVzk 

The important bit is that the anchor name will be something like test (without the hashtag) but the link URL will be #test (with the hashtag).

– Cheers, David

Like Deleted user likes this
Deleted user July 14, 2022

Thank you David. That helps a lot. 

Best,

Kirk

Catherine Whitley May 18, 2023

@David at David Simpson Apps I'm not sure what's wrong, but when I go to put in the link, it's not recognizing the anchor that I put in and wants me to insert a link and select a text to display, it doesn't look like yours and so I'm not sure how to get the word I need to link to the anchor. Can you please assist?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events