cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What just happened to Confluence Cloud?

Viewing page 4 of 10

247 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Lucy Minato October 1, 2017

On a related topic, I've requested for the ability to turn off/on the Contributors column on the "Pages" page given a row of avatars means nothing to our users who just want to get to a page our of product user guide.

Add your vote here if it's something you could use: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-57521

(And yes, there's no denying it, I am using this forum to canvas votes for my JIRA issues :-)

0 votes
Joe Koberg September 29, 2017

What user task was improved in speed or completed successfully more often with this change?  

It's bad. We want textual information so we can scan and summarize.

0 votes
Caroline Bartle
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 29, 2017

Hi @Robert Lauriston - user names were removed from page history a little while ago as part of the introduction of collaborative editing to Confluence Cloud.

When multiple users edit a page and these changes are published as a version, all according avatars are displayed in the 'changed by' column. The removal of names was implemented to allow for additional display space for multiple avatars. We do encourage users to upload a profile pic so that they can be identified visually on such a page.

0 votes
Robert Lauriston September 28, 2017

Put the names back on the Page History.

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 11.56.29 AM.png

0 votes
Josh Mings September 25, 2017

Thanks Robert. Server isn't an option for us right now. Appreciate the suggestions though.

0 votes
Robert Lauriston September 25, 2017

If you move your customer-facing docs to a Confluence Server instance, you could use Scroll Viewport to publish the content to a web server any way you like, or if you don't care about publishing changes in real time, you could use Scroll HTML Exporter.

0 votes

Nice quote! :)

True, Confluence does seem better used for internal documentation purposes at this point, especially with Jira alongside. I think what most of us are after is a way to hide all the wiki bits from external users - just show the page tree and page!

0 votes

I presume "no author limit" means you can get as many author licenses as you want.

Ask them for the full price list, there are various mix-and-match options. I'm the only writer here so the plan that works for me is the Business version, which allows unlimited reviewers.

Yikes, there's a quote from me at the top of the pricing page. I did give them permission but I didn't expect it to be quite that prominent.

We're still using Confluence Cloud for internal stuff like specs and status reports and I still like it better than other wikis. The new UI is less efficient but for those relatively simple tasks it hasn't caused any big problems yet.

0 votes

Thanks for the tip on Paligo. We've been evaluating new tools and this looks interesting. Started the trial. Pricing is confusing though $119 per Author for small team, but states 'No Author Limit'. 

0 votes

Am I the only one who is truly astonished ...

I've seen it twice before, with the rounding of space logos and the announcement of the discontinuation of the Documentation theme.

That's one of the reasons I switched from Confluence Server + Scroll plugins to Paligo for authoring customer-facing documentation.

0 votes
Stéphane Veraart (Devoteam) September 25, 2017

Please add me to the list as well. I'd be more than happy to provide feedback also based on what key-users at my clients think of it.

0 votes
Till Noever September 24, 2017

Thanks for that, Brian. Truth is, I have no idea what the overall user-base picture is. Just thought I'd bring this up. As I said, my own sample size is small, and it's always iffy to make broad inferences from small numbers (a.k.a. 'faulty generalization').

And, BTW, I don't consider us 'complainers', though self-selected we are! 'Critics' sounds so much better. 'Defenders Of User Rights' sounds even better (alas, that makes us into the 'DOUR' ones). Also, methinks Atlassian has far less flattering attributes for us when they talk among themselves, even though these would of course never make this forum. Would love to be a fly on the wall there. lol

0 votes
Brian Houston September 24, 2017

You make a valid point that we are a self-selecting group of complainers - and the people who are happy with the new version are unlikely to show up in this discussion.  

However, I have been using Confluence for a few years now in various organisations - and find it unlikely that their current direction - (de-emphasis on page tree, emphasis on blogs etc) is the majority use case for the platform.  

0 votes
Brian Houston September 21, 2017

Agree.

0 votes
Brian Houston September 21, 2017

Agree completely.  I would imagine that the use case for Confluence as a blogging platform is small - but perhaps the Atlassian team sees this as an area that they're trying to push into more.  

It's a shame from a product management aspect because Confluence works so well as a  documentation / support / wiki application.  

Hubristic overreach maybe?

0 votes
Josh Mings September 21, 2017

"many many" - I don't believe it for a second. Of all the examples we looked at before deciding to go with Confluence, all were used as manual/documentation. None were using Blog and Tutorial. First thing seen was the page tree.

It's simple Atlassian. Let the use case decide what goes there.

0 votes
Lisa de Araujo September 21, 2017

And, by the way, I tried to edit my comment typos and got this: IMG_0712.PNG

0 votes
Lisa de Araujo September 21, 2017

Above, LIron said "There are many many use cases of it disturbing and taking focus away from the overview page, for some types of spaces."

I'm curious about these use cases and types of spaces. I have always thought confluence was a documentation / support / wiki application. What else do people use it for. I'm clearing not very imaginative, because I can't think of any use that requires a "home" page that needs such total focus that navigation becomes an unnecessary distraction. 

0 votes
Bruno Miretti September 19, 2017

And we can add: anonymous users won't see anything there except "All spaces" making complicated to move back to a previous space !

Please vote for this one: CONFCLOUD-57410

Thanks

0 votes
Abhay Patil September 18, 2017

The "new experience" just doesn't cease to surprise one with instances of complete lack of UX basics! Now, I see the icon of the space that I work in. WhenI  hover over it, it shows name of the space. Great so far. But when I click on it - expecting to get to the space overview page, it pops up a menu  of "Recent spaces"! And it doesn't stop there. The "Recent Spaces" DOES NOT SHOW the space that I have been working in exclusively all the time! :(  

POSTSCRIPT: As I think more, however non-intuitive this behavior appears to me, it sure is a "design feature". I.e. the space icon shows the space I am in, and when I click on it, it shows me recent spaces that I may choose to go to. Oh well.

SpaceIconHover.png

0 votes
Lucy Minato September 18, 2017

Here are a couple more JIRA tickets regarding features in the new-look Cloud Confluence that I'm not happy with:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-57521

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-57523

Please add your vote if you agree. Thanks!

0 votes
Michael Corvin September 14, 2017

+1  Amen!

0 votes
Josh Mings September 14, 2017

Nope, that's not a static copy. It's the regular page tree. We just link people to the top page of the page tree, so the page tree shows, instead of the root homepage of the space.

If they hit the 'Pages' link at the top, they do go back to the (useless) page contributor list, but can't do anything about that.

0 votes
Robert Lauriston September 14, 2017

Is that a static copy of the page tree, so you have to update it any time the tree changes?

0 votes
Josh Mings September 14, 2017

Yes, it does take longer. I ended up just making a shortcut in my browser to the primary page - saves me two clicks.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events