Tip/Discussion: Using Unicode icons as "page type"

Scott Beeson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2018

I ran into a problem while documenting where I wanted two pages with the same name, so I came up with this solution which has added benefits.  I'm prepending a Unicode icon to each page of different "types".  For instance, for all my server pages I'm using 🖥.  Now, if I have a server named "🖥api.mysite.com" and have another page that needs to be called "api.mysite.com" I have no conflict.  This also has the added benefit of looking nice when referencing a page inline and it doesn't interfere with searching or tagging in any way I've found.

I'm curious if anyone has done anything similar and has any related tips? 

links.png

Personally, I wish Confluence had a concept of "types" for pages, each with its own icon and no naming collisions.   Check out the hierarchy under "Reorder pages".  Why even have icons if they're all the same?

2018-10-22 13_42_52-Reorder Pages - Confluence.png

1 comment

Scott Beeson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2022

Well, at least they implemented part of this.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events