Setting a home page for an implementation's root URL?

Mike_Schinkel November 26, 2019

One of the things I find lacking in Confluence is the ability to set a common home page for an organization/implementation of confluence.

IOW, an intranet home page.

Sure we can create a space for that, but that is not discoverable like a home page would be.  Ideally if someone went to ourdomain.atlassian.net they would get a site's home page, and from that page could be links to /jira/your-work

I think this is a feature request.  Maybe a solution would be to create a HOME page and then a configuration that allows us to assign that space to the root domain?

1 comment

Dan Winkler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2019

@Mike_Schinkel Hmm...thought you could do it in the Further Configuration - Site Homepage part of Confluence but it sure seems like you can only connect to Spaces. Just curious - why do you think a Space would be less discoverable than a page?

Hi Dan,

Thank you for replying to my question.

Trying to reply but for the browser keeps having a Javascript error when I click reply.

> Just curious - why do you think a Space would be less discoverable than a page?

I think my question must have been unclear.

I am not so much asking for a page vs. a space, I was asking for the home page to appear at the root URL, e.g. at:

https://ourdomain.atlassian.net/

BTW, I would actually prefer to have an entire space pinned to the root URL vs. a single page.  The point of the request is to have an intranet home page at the root URL.

Also, the discoverability I speak of is empowered specifically by the home page/space being at the root URL, vs. having to know what to search because it is hard to find some things on Confluence, especially for a large installation of Confluence, and having a curated home page would be helpful to new users.

> Hmm...thought you could do it in the Further Configuration - Site Homepage part of Confluence but it sure seems like you can only connect to Spaces.

I was unaware of this, and it sounds like it might meet my needs.

Would you (or someone else) mind sharing a screen shot in the admin showing how to configure this, and including the URL path in the admin in which is to located?

Thank you in advance.

Dan Winkler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2019

@Mike_Schinkel I don't have any idea if this is what you're looking for, and I've never actually used it. I just stumbled across this setting the other day so it was near the top of my mind and when I saw your question I thought that maybe this solution would fit.

I'm a Confluence Admin for our company.

-I go to this location: 

https://<mycompany'sname>.atlassian.net/wiki/discover/all-updates

-Click Further Configuration on the left side.

-Click Edit. Part of the screen that appears includes this:

site-home.png-Then, I'd make a selection in the Site Homepage dropdown. Like I said, I haven't done it yet, just thought about it.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Mike_Schinkel November 27, 2019

@Dan Winkler That is perfect.  Many thanks!

Dan Winkler
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 27, 2019

@Mike_Schinkel You're welcome. Also saw this just a few minutes ago, which looks like the official documentation and provides more detail:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/configuring-the-site-homepage-724765517.html

Like Mike_Schinkel likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events