Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking Feedback on Datasource Connector Usage in Confluence

Hi All,

My name is James and I’m an Engineering Manager on the Confluence Data Center team. I’m here to gather some feedback from users who Administer Confluence instances about how they connect Confluence to a database.

As part of our goal to deliver the most value for the most users, we occasionally remove features or functions from the product that are rarely used or no longer fit our teams vision for the product in order to increase focus on other areas. To this end, we are currently investigating the removal of support for Tomcat (JNDI) Datasources as a method for connecting Confluence to the database.

If you're not using a Datasource connecter (you can check by reading this documentation), then the changes under consideration won't impact you :)

For those using Datasources, we would like to gather your feedback on the following points
1. Are you running Confluence Server or Data Center?
2. Are you using a Tomcat Datasource to work around a problem you encountered in your environment? If so, what was the problem?
3. Why have you and your team chosen to use Datasources in place of the default JDBC URL method?

We'll be accepting feedback for two weeks, and will include this feedback as one of many factors in our deliberations on next steps. In turn, I'll update this post with the decision we arrive at.

EDIT - I'm going to refrain from commenting on your feedback until the end of this process so as not to influence the feedback. I will reply to some of the comments once the feedback window has closed as there is some relevant information to share. Thanks for the feedback so far :)

Thanks,
James Ponting
Engineering Manager - Confluence Data Center

5 comments

GBE May 13, 2022

Hi @James Ponting ,

I saw this post from your comment on https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-59524

We are using Confluence Server.

We are using those thirdparty plugins such as 'SQL for Confluence' from AppFire.

And followed their documentation to rely on the server.conf datasources.

https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SQL/pages/389316780/Data+source+configuration+-+application+server+-+8.x  

We used it extensively to make dynamic pages that gather data from thirdparty databases.

This plugin makes Confluence a unique entry point for both WIKI and thirdparty DB data.

Like # people like this
Leszek Czaplis May 13, 2022

Hi James,

On our side we were facing serious performance degradation/instability when C3P0 connector was used.

1. Confluence Server

2. Yes, please review details of PS-71193. Problem (in short) - frequent spikes of Active Threads reaching limit defined in server.xml. When limit is reached Confluence application is not reachable/not accessible

3. Premier Support advised us to switch to JNDI Datasource and this method made our instances stable.

Best regards,

Leszek Czaplis

Like James Ponting likes this
IT OPUSG May 13, 2022

Hi, we've been using a datasource connector with our Confluence Server in the past, but only to temporarily troubleshoot performance issues through JavaMelody. Afterwards we reverted back to the default connection method.

Using a datasource connector allows JavaMelody to monitor the jdbc connections and the SQL requests. See: https://github.com/javamelody/javamelody/wiki/AtlassianPlugin

Marek Cwynar May 13, 2022

Hi!

We use datasources for Jira and Confluence in order to use 
jira-confluence-javamelody pliugin - link

https://github.com/javamelody/jira-confluence-javamelody to monitor Jira and Confluence performance.

It provides not only performance analysis but also lists of current errors.

We have found that plugin very useful for troubleshoting.

Ravi Varma
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2022

Hi @James Ponting ,

Thanks @GBE  for your inputs.

As mentioned in Configure+Data+Sources+-+10.x , SQL Pro for Confluence can be configured to leverage existing  Tomcat (JNDI) Datasources. This is one of the preferred ways that customers find convenient while working with various SQL macros offered by our app (https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SQL/pages/943915165/Macro+Reference+-+10.x)

Few concerns/queries from our side would be

• The proposed changes discussed in this thread, would result in major re-engineering for the app. Dropping this feature, would have its own set of challenges but can be done

• We are more concerned with regard to the Confluence pages that are currently configured using  Tomcat (JNDI) Datasources based connections/profiles.

• What is the timeframe you are looking at, for bringing this change?

• To make it seamless for existing pages, Appfire needs to brainstorm on alternate workarounds, which would have its own limitations and assumptions.

• As this is not a replacement API but rather removal of one of the basic features of Tomcat, we have to explore unchartered territory

Thanks,

Ravi Varma

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events