Save Web-Image as local File

Leonard Schnücker November 3, 2020

Hello,

i have the problem if i make on google-image right click and copy image, then paste it directly into the editor, confluence automatic links it to it orginal web-page.

After a while those images will change or move and my confluence page is empty.

How can i turn that off or say that it should save it locally? (Like when i drag and drop a image from my local pc.)

1 comment

Andrii Maliuta
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2020

Hello @Leonard Schnücker .

There is no automatic way to convert link to Web image to attachment in Confluence.

You can just save the image to your local machine as file and then add it to the page as attachment (via Attachments menu or just drag and drop in editing page).

Please consider Copyrights and Privacy policies of images.

Thank you

Leonard Schnücker November 5, 2020

Thats is really sad, because i cant work like that if my stuff keeps getting away.

And yes i am concern of Privacy, the server are all internal and not open to the public.

If i use confluence, than it is to write pages where is no german tranlsation or make simple tutorials (And not where you need be Programmer to use a End-User-Interface)and use simple images like of black cable,computer ports, and stuff like that.

I know this web based but you can right click --> copy and paste into paint too, atleast i want option where i could say convert all web images to local images.

And please dont tell me "there is no way", maybe it's possible to suggest this as feature? You can do it atleas on server-side with simple code.

Andrii Maliuta
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2020

@Leonard Schnücker 

Thank you for the detailed reply.

With custom additional functionality almost all is possible - it depends on how you get this feature. I did not find such an add-on on Atlassian Marketplace (jut https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1218926/remote-content-website-pdf-image?hosting=cloud&tab=overview that is for Confluence Cloud and seems to work just like iFrame - not physically attaching images).

So, the main options are:

1. Write User Macro (usually for simpler functionality as it is had to maintain code in such a way)
  2. Write add-on for Confluence Server with these features
  3. Try to use some Web Crawler (or browser automation tools like Selenium) to save all web images you need from an external site automatically to a local machine folder and then use a tool like  https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/284/confluence-command-line-interface-cli?hosting=server&tab=overview to auto-import images as attachments - this tool is very powerful for automatic operations with content including loading content from local PC to Confluence

This is all I can suggest from my side, I suppose.

Thank you

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events