Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended Information Mapping Plug-ins for Confluence

Tammy Nelon November 21, 2019

Hello.  My company uses Confluence for its "intranet".  Many people have had the ability to create new content in that space for quite some time, and it's become a mess!  I've just taken over management of it and want to clean it up.  

Does anyone have any recommendations for information mapping and/or content management plug-ins to get me started?

We're using v6.15 (server).

Thanks, in advance.

1 comment

Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2019

Hi Tammy, 

I had a similar problem when I started using Confluence (Cloud). I, along with my colleagues created dozens of pages without a real plan in mind and it became a big mess really quickly.

As Confluence administrator I looked for a plug-in to solve the problem, but in the end I solved it all with the tools available in Confluence.

1. Labels - I started using labels to categorise pages. After creating the labels I asked everyone who had created pages to label their pages using one of the labels I had created. 
  2. I created landing pages, not too many (as many as the labels I had created) and used the macro called "Content by label" to reign in the pages under a specific label. 
  3. I also used the quick page drag move or page management feature in Confluence to move related pages under a landing page, therefore the moved pages became children pages and a lot easier to manage as there are macros for children pages as well.
  4. On each of the landing pages I created a New Page Template button, that when clicked on would automatically load the page template I wanted everyone to use. This stopped people randomly creating pages using non-standard pages in any location. It also controlled the page labels as I was able to set them. 
  5. On most pages I included a 'Page Tree' Macro, and enabled the Search, Expand All features. This lets me and everyone see where the page is sitting the tree. It shows order. 
  6. I created teams and assigned teams to the various landing pages. 
  7. I restricted who had WRITE permission from the root page or home page and also on the various landing pages using the teams. 
  8. I confess I have purchased a plug-in called SubSpace Navigation for Confluence which is a menu system that sits at the top of every Confluence page for easy access to anything. The nice thing about the menu is that one only sees what you have permission for. 

menu.png

I hope this helps and apologies if I am way off-track.

Mike

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events