Pages or Title with same name

Thiago Mendes July 13, 2017

Guys,

It has recently a topic and that subject is so old, but I decided create another one about the same discution.

I just wanna say...
"Confluence has to work for me and not me for him".

Is ridiculous I have to change page name! I cannot put pages with the same name. I would undestand if those pages were in the same structure page as "windows explorer" extrucure page, but isn't.

So now I have to put another "point", "number" or "diferente name" title name of my pages? It's baddie UX/Experience. Fix it Atlassian!

1 comment

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2017

It's not going to change, unless you can answer the fundamental question.

I have some application documentation X.  The application is documented in a single space.  I want the critical system information because I am supporting it and it's just crashed. 

What do I need when going to, or searching for "space X, and Critical System Information" gives me

• X: Critical System Information

Tell me which one is the right one?

I'm not saying it can't be done, but until someone comes up with a proper way to uniquely identify a document in searches *without* a tree structure, it's not going to work.

Did you read my simple example of Windows Explorer folders structure? Think about it and out side de box. I don't need useless answers, thanks.

If it won't change, It´s OK! I have choises: work with Confluence or get another app that works simple for me.

PS: Please, don't try to convince me or others customers. It's happening 5 years ago and every post that I read have not a solution. You guys try to put YOUR WAY for customers work. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2017

Yes, I did read it, but it's not relevant to the use-case I've given.

I ask again.  Which one of those pages in my example do I need to select when I'm looking the critical system information?

Man... please, I understood. Try to understand that has your way and my way to think/work. I guess that my way has more UX than yours. Consider it if you want!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 13, 2017

I am trying to uderstand.  I really am just asking for help to understand how it could work with duplicated names. 

But when I ask that simple question on how to identify the page I'm looking for, no-one answers.  Can you tell me how to do that?

Thiago Mendes July 14, 2017

Get into Windows Explorer structure. The Confluence should work like that. If not, thanks! I really appreciate your willingness to try and convince me.

That's my point of view (UX) and what I read in many posts. I have no more to say... 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 14, 2017

Could you please at least make some effort to read what I've said.

Your "windows explorer structure"

a) Is already in Confluence.  See the page trees

b) Fails miserably to answer the question

Again, can you tell me how to identify the page I need from the list I gave?

Thiago Mendes July 14, 2017

Man, I need set the same folder name in my page into Confluence, as Windows Explorer does, as I do in Windows Explorer. That is! Simples like that! You said: "It's not going to change, unless...".

If it won't change, I told you: "I have choises...".

What you want? Because I explained it clearly and simply.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 14, 2017

Please, stop ignoring my question and waffling about something Confluence already does and has nothing to do with it.

Re-read my first comment.  Then please answer the question.

John January 10, 2018

In a tree-like file system, files with the same name are not allowed in the same folder. In your example Nic, each "Critical System Information" will have a different parent, and you will select the parent that is relevant to your query. This is how file system search works. This is how Google search works. This is how I expect the Confluence page search to work.

It's unreasonable to require unique names for pages that have different parents. They can be disambiguated by the parent.

I'm not sure why you want to allow duplicate page names without a tree structure or under the same parent. I don't think anyone is asking for that.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events