Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

New tables in Confluence Cloud are really, really awful.

I just want to vent a bit. I recently migrated from an older version of Confluence to a cloud instance, and I find the new table functionality appalling. It's broken - so much capability is just gone. No ability to control the width, adding and removing rows and columns is really wonky, formatting capability lost.

Tabbing through the table in edit mode is buggy and weird, trying to select a table, or just a row or cell is nearly impossible.

I used to enter a one-row, one-column table to put a TOC in a nice grey box - really fast and easy to do. Not anymore!

Also - while I'm venting: whose idea was it to change the link shortcut in the editor? Where I used to type '[' and choose the most recent page(s), now I have to type '/link', and hit enter. From one keystroke to six! W...T...H...?

Whoever is in charge of UX at Atlassian needs a severe finger-shaking.

8 comments

I totally agree.  Not being able to control the width is awful!  Also you can no longer embed a table within a table!  Why take AWAY functionality????  

Like # people like this

I've been having these same issues. I've been frustrated that there are color limitations with the tables. Why not have the option to input our own hex codes for the color? I honestly hate the new editor because of all the bugs with formatting. It's near impossible to make pages look nice visually with all the limitations. 

Like # people like this

We've recenly came across different questions related to Confluence Cloud and its tables, so we decided to create a short video tutorial and upload it to our YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/EV8uNE7utXk

Hope it will help new Confluence Cloud users.

Like # people like this

It still doesn't show how to size the tables so they don't go totally across the page when you only have 2 columns.

Like # people like this

The problem isn't about knowing how it works.

The problem is: "how it works", actually. As the title said: "new tables are awful" (vertical alignment, color display, width, combined-cells, HTML-custom, etc..)

Not even a "slim table" option... 

Not being able to set the width is a real problem...

Especially if you only have one or two columns with not much data (width) in them! Looks really ugly.

Think I'm going to have to use the old editing experience to get around it...

Like Megan Meyer likes this

Totally agree!!!  I have been using the old editor for this and the fact that you can't have tables within tables.  WHY take OUT functionality????  

Agree. New tables are impossible to use. It almost seems like someone is trying to (why??) discourage people from using tables.

Like # people like this

Agree entirely.  Having been a user of the non-cloud version of Confluence for years, I had intended to use it as the basis for documenting a new project I am working on.  Having created a new account on Confluence Cloud however, the table functionality is embarrassingly bad, clumsy, inflexible, and a huge downgrade from the historical Confluence functionality.  Quite remarkable that this made it past any UAT phase.  Since virtually every page I would create would have multiple tables on it, the spectacularly bad implementation of tables on Confluence Cloud rules it out as a contender for my project.  Disappointed. 

Like # people like this

It is more than awful

Like # people like this

Totally agree. Does anyone know what the roadmap on this looks like? Given the first post was April of 2020 and it’s now Jan 2021, and basic functionality like table sizing is still absent, it would be helpful to know if it’s being considered. 

Like Mallee Morris likes this

Comment

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

Confluence Mythbusters: Does Atlassian even use Confluence?

Hi, Confluence collaborators! As part of #Confluence-Collaboratory month, we’ve created a very special Mythsbusters segment, where we're dive into an interesting myth and uncover the truth behind i...

1,710 views 7 32
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you