It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

New and improved file uploading experience in Confluence Cloud

Jenny Chu Atlassian Team Mar 07, 2019

Hey Community!

My name is Jenny and I am a Product Manager in our Cloud Media team. Our team is super excited to share that we are shipping an improved file uploading experience for everyone using the new Editor on Confluence. Here’s a little preview to show you what it looks like:

mVb7K6cnNK.gif

What’s different with our file upload experience?

• Easy multi-upload: easily select more than one file at a time to quickly upload files.

• Express yourself with GIFs: for times when words just aren’t enough, pick a GIF that truly expresses how you feel.

• Connect to Google Drive or Dropbox: access and upload files from your favourite Cloud file storage system. 

• Sync files across Jira and Confluence: whatever you upload on Confluence will appear in your “Recents Uploads” in Jira, and vice versa!

We have enabled our new file upload experience for anyone that is using our new Editor. If you don’t have the new editing experience it’s available as a template, so you can try it out whenever you’d like.

If you have any feedback or questions, please post your thoughts here. We’re excited to hear from you.

2 comments

Thanks! We have been waiting for this. Should have been launched together with the new Fabric Editor, but we're happy it is here now.

Like 2 people like this
James Dellow Community Leader Mar 13, 2019

Some questions - using the new editor/file upload experience, how do I

• upload a file and create a text link to it?
  • select from just the files already attached to the page?
  • find and link to a file attached on another page?
Jenny Chu Atlassian Team Mar 13, 2019

Hey James! Thanks for the questions.

• upload a file and create a text link to it?
    • We currently do not offer this capability but we have it on our roadmap for the near-future. 
  • select from just the files already attached to the page?
    • This was a feature that we de-prioritised as part of the new editing experience as it was not used frequently. Could I ask what this feature helps you with? It's currently not on our immediate roadmap, but keen to hear what you're trying to do. 
  • find and link to a file attached on another page?
    • Same as above. We currently do not have this capability but keen to understand how often you need this/what you wish to achieve through this.

select from just the files already attached to the page?

I think your assumption is that a page is created and files are upload all as one task - so I'm sure that in most cases that is true. But when I go back to change a page or reorganise later in time, how do I find something attached on the page already?

It isn't about frequency, but the ability to deal with an exception when it arises.

find and link to a file attached on another page?

I want to link to the file on the other page, so that I don't duplicate the file. I couldn't tell you how frequently I use this, but its a feature I've used it time and time again over the years I've been using Confluence.

I assume at some stage the new editor will also be extended to comments?

If I want to point a user to particular file in reply to a question that could be on the same page or another page, how will I do that?

Copying and pasting the link to the file might work, but files links are a bit messy in Confluence - using the dialog was always a more reliable way of doing it.

Like 2 people like this

It would be helpful if the UI also provided some hints about where the file is saved and the version - e.g these are both the same file:

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 10.03.24.png

And once it is uploaded, why is the file size relevant anyway?

Like 2 people like this
Jenny Chu Atlassian Team Mar 13, 2019

James, really great, thanks a lot for all of the feedback. Highly appreciate it!

We'll prioritise these accordingly as we take in other feedback. This helps me understand why these features are important. 

Re: the UI of the file cards, we're also making improvements on those shortly as well. Hopefully it'll help you differentiate files in the picker! 

I agree with @James Dellow here, on all three items. Here are my additions:

upload a file and create a text link to it

The file cards take up way too much space, especially if you need to refer to (link to) a file in-line in a document, which is the typical way of referencing.

select from just the files already attached to the page

Often when writing documentation you will want to link to an attachment (file) in the text, but also link to the same attachment (file) under a References heading in the document. It would then make no sense at all to upload the same file twice to the Confluence page. The maintenance will be a nightmare.

In other cases it is convenient to for instance upload 10 images to a page at once, and then when you write the page content you add in the individual images as you go. You might even want to add the same image more than once on the same page.

find and link to a file attached on another page

This also helps with maintenance. You want to duplicate as little as possible to help maintain the correct versions of your files.

Like 2 people like this

Comment

Community showcase
Published Thursday in Confluence

Confluence CVEs and common questions

Two vulnerabilities have been published for Confluence Server and Data Center recently: March 20, 2019 CVE-2019-3395 / CVE-2019-3396 April 17, 2019 CVE-2019-3398 The goal of this article is...

252 views 0 12
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you