Manage documentation for customers

Patrick Derlet August 1, 2019

One Space per customer or how do you do it?

3 comments

Kris G _Alacriz_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2019

Hi @Patrick Derlet

Spaces in Confluence are used to organize related data in one place with appropriate permissions. To take an example, you may be part of a company that has the following departments:

1. HR
2. Marketing
3. Operations
4. Technical
5. Legal
6. Management

If the above six departments need to create and maintain documentation exclusively, six spaces with respective names can be created. Permissions can be set up where in employees can access only their department's space. Some exclusive top level employees can be setup to access two or more spaces. Permissions can also be set up at page level. 

All above accesses can also be set up for external customers where in a number of customers may be made to access marketing material from the Marketing space (and not see information meant for internal use) and some can be set up to access the technical stuff from the Technical space. 

More details can be found on Atlassian's documentation:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confeval/confluence-evaluator-resources/confluence-document-management-system
https://confluence.atlassian.com/confeval/confluence-evaluator-resources/confluence-features-functions

I hope that helps. 

Thanks,
Kris 

Like Davin Studer likes this
Patrick Derlet August 2, 2019

Hi Kris, 

thanks for your answer. 

Then I would now try this:

Customer1
-> technical
-> contacts
Customer2
-> technical
-> contacts

and so on. Right?

Regards,

Patrick

Like Davin Studer likes this
Kris G _Alacriz_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2019

That should be fine, @Patrick Derlet . As long as you can organize them in a reasonable way, there could be 'n' number of combinations that can be employed. 

EPS Software Engineering AG August 5, 2019

Hi @Patrick Derlet 

We use Confluence for all our documents. So we have an offer space with single main pages for each of our customers. We create all our offers based on templates (contracts, specifications, etc.). If a customer orders a project from us, we create a space for it. This way we can also give customer employees access to this space. There is also a template for these project spaces. So that we can work efficiently and quickly, we have created a whole series of Confluence apps. These apps can be used individually. However, they work very well together and form a suite.

All apps can be found on the Marketplace.

Our LIVE EXAMPLES show some excerpts from our application.

Regards,
Stephan (CEO of EPS Software Engineering AG)

Patrick Derlet August 6, 2019

Hi @EPS Software Engineering AG 

Here's what I just tested:
I created a new section for a customer. In this area there are several subpages, because there are several locations.
But now I have the problem that I can't always create the same page names, because they already exist in space.
Example:
Spacename customer 1
Page 1 with location x
Bottom of page 1 with hostlist

I create after this setup the whole thing for another site means it can not be created hostlist, because it already exists.

EPS Software Engineering AG August 6, 2019

Hi @Patrick Derlet 

We had the same problem in our offer space. There we use the project / quote number. In your case I would use the location in the title within brackets, e.g. Page 1 ((Zürich)). The reason for the brackets is, that our OneOffixx Exporter can remove parts, which are defined as regular expression. So the Word / PDF Export is without this location.

The page trees are created by the Page Tree Creator and there can be added a tag, like ((__Location__). All __Location__ are replaced by what the user did add during the creation process. Please have a look at this example.

roman
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2019

Hi @Patrick Derlet

we have developed an app that allows to overcome this Confluence limitation: Scroll Versions. Once the app is installed you can activate Duplicate Titles in Space Tools → Scroll Add-ons → Settings:

20190806155915.png

I hope this helps. If you have further questions, please let me know.

Roman.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events