Let's talk about the Confluence editor?

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 14, 2019

Hi team,

I've been posting quite often lately so I'll keep this short 😉

I'd love to invite anyone that has feedback on the new editor to feel free to schedule 1:1 time with me using this link.

I also wanted to sincerely thank everyone for all your feedback to date! I know you're all very busy and taking the time to articulate your feedback is not a trivial thing to do. We do not take this for granted.

If you're going to attend the upcoming Summit, I'll be there and would love to meet in person as well.

Looking forward to speaking soon,

Avinoam

5 comments

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2019

For anyone who wonders what's actually new in the new Confluence editor, you can also check out this video.

This was created in a Hacketse at K15t (our version of shipit).

Like • # people like this
Thomas Ohrbom March 14, 2019

Great initiative, @Avinoam 

Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2019

@Avinoam lets chat at Summit.

My basic thoughts though revolve around the differences between server and cloud.  Ie., the server editor is much more feature rich at a basic level than cloud.  For instance, I can undo when i screw up formatting, I can press Control-3 to change format.  These are things I do every day, multiple times a day.

Then there's the / vs { command.  I find this kind of annoying, honestly.  For over a decade, it's been {code now its' /code in cloud.  Great.  I'm trying to convince users to go to cloud, and we make even basic functionality require retraining.

So, that's what you'll hear from me at Summit in a nut shell, but lets spend some time on it :)

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 18, 2019

Thanks @Gregory Van Den Ham ! Looking forward to meeting in person at summit :)

Scott Fedorov March 18, 2019

@Avinoam  I really like the new editor. We are just now developing our Confluence site and I asked to be moved directly to the new editor. No reason to teach my staff the old way if it's all inevitably changing. It's a much better overall experience.

Change is hard for everyone. People get used to their old ways. We don't have that problem, so we get a generally unbiased view of the new editor.

I do notice a number of bugs in the new editor, but am confident they'll be addressed in time. I do echo the sentiment about centering text on the page. I understand the reasoning, but would have preferred it to the left instead. It just looks strange when you have so much white space on each side if viewing on a computer monitor, which I would guess is 99.99% of users. 

The ability to make undefined pages as you edit a page is a bug I hope gets resolved soon. That would make it so much easier for our deployment team to create stubs to remind them to upload specific content. 

The cloud file browser listed in the roadmap specifically mentions Google Drive and Dropbox, but not Box. Box is mentioned in a separate item later in the page. We use Box and very much hope not including Box in that item was an oversight. 

I'd also like to add some feedback about this Atlassian Community. I'm happy to sort through pages of questions and posts to see if someone else has requested help on the same/similar issue, but it's very difficult to search. As far as I can tell, the only search bar that accepts text really is the one on the header/nav bar, which defaults to searching everything without an easy way to limit/filter/sort the results so that you can find the content you're looking for. It would be nice if there was some documentation/ability to create more structured searches.  

Also, would love to see posts from officials (such as yourself) promoted or flagged better or kept separate from all the community discussions. 

Like • Thomas Ohrbom likes this
Avinoam
Atlassian Team
March 18, 2019

@Scott Fedorov thank you so much for this thoughtful note. I've already passed on all your feedback to all respective teams!

Scott Fedorov April 26, 2019

Avinoam:

I noticed that Box was added to the list of cloud file browser roadmap item. Yay.

Still no word on the ability to link to undefined pages. I found and voted the issue here but no movement on it at all, its not mentioned as a fix coming on the roadmap nor is it mentioned as a deprecated feature. It's really hurting our productivity, so wanted to plead for it again.

Also, no ideas how we can "follow" people to get updates like yours? I see you'd posted updates, but there buried under a flood of random (mostly useless) posts, so it takes a LONG time to find anything of value. 

Thanks.

Like • thomas.ohrbom likes this
Jennifer Bonck-Furlan August 9, 2019

Did the permissions change with the new editor?  I can't do anything with the new Blank page except change color of text (can't even add text) and I'm an admin...

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
August 12, 2019

@Jennifer Bonck-Furlan permissions should be the same. That sounds like a bug! Are you still seeing that behavior?

Jennifer Bonck-Furlan August 13, 2019

@Avinoam  Yes.  It appears to be something on our network being blocked, as it works off network.  Support sent me a very large list to white list, which is going to be a hard sell with my InfoSec team :(

Jennifer Bonck-Furlan August 13, 2019

@Avinoam 

The issue doesn’t appear to be domain related.  Analysis on pages created by the two editors reveals that in the old editor they were post calls to https://synchrony.atlassian.com/v1/bayeux-sync1 whereas in the new editor it is GETS to wss://synchrony.atlassian.com/v1/bayeux-sync.  I’m getting hundreds of errors on the new editor for these calls.

I will request from our InfoSec team to determine if we are able to permit wss calls, but I am unlikely to be the only client that has this issue.  I have notified the support ticket accordingly. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events