Just signed up for ACP-200 exam; I feel like I am going to be sick!

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2018

T-minus 1 week until the Confluence administrator exam... I am super nervous.

Anyone have any tips on taking the exam? Some say to skip the long questions until the end - some say to just go in order and do your best.

• I have already took the prep course which was super helpful.

I think the hardest part of this test is to exclude the add-on content I have learned over the past few years :/

13 comments

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2018

@Brittany Wispell started an article on this for ACP-300 just a little bit ago, you should check it out! 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Training-Certification/Atlassian-Certifications/td-p/786968

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2018

Originally I thought this was “open concept, no bs”. After taking the Atlassian prep course, I now realize it symbolized no special characters!

save.jpg

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2018

Hey @Jonathan Smith

The thing that gave me the biggest trouble with in this exam was the Global vs Space vs Page permissions, it really through me through a mental break down almost! There was a lot from what I can remember. I totally agree, having add-ons really confuses a lot of people when studying for these. I'd suggest spinning up a Confluence instance and playing with it OOB. I skipped the ones I didn't know right away, I took the Jira admin exam a couple times, and I tried both ways...the one where I skipped the ones I didn't know right away and came back to I had more time left. Just going straight through I was crunched for time.

Good luck! And most of all Have Fun! :) 

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2018

Agreed on the permissions front:

You can add an user to a page, though they can't access the page until they are added to the space. Why are you able to add them to the page then >_<.  Had to throw my SharePoint knowledge out the door for some of these concepts.

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2018

Good luck on your exam this week!!! You're going to do great! 

Roman Kirilenko
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2018

You can take a look at this post, hope it helps. But the only tip you should remember - any experience gained by other people is useless for you personally. You're unique, so you have to find your own way. Even if you fail your first attempt.

Good luck!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2018

I'm not sure other people's experience is useless, but it's certainly subjective and personal.  If you asked me about the exams, you might learn nothing that helps you, whereas talking to Roman could give you a lot of stuff that works for you.

I'd also like to say "don't panic".  Even if you fail, you're in good company, the exam has defeated many people we would have expected to waltz through it.

I've been lucky so far.  My parents taught me how to take exams when I was in primary school, so I don't get fazed by the environment, handling long questions, etc.  Just being calm and not worrying about it really helps.  Even then, of the 2 Atlassian exams I've taken, I only passed one of them with something like 0.3% above the pass mark.

Like Alexander Bondarev likes this
Roman Kirilenko
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2018

Agree. When I said "useless", I meant "you can't know if it's helpful for you personally". I think that sharing any experience is a good idea, but if you're already nervous, learning someone's experience is not a proper way. Everything changes. For example, Atlassian extended time limit (120 => 180 min) for exams, there might be other changes. Other people's experience can be irrelevant due to many reasons, and you should keep it in mind. There is no silver bullet for passing these exams.

The #1 advice is still "keep calm, don't panic and find your own way to pass".

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 7, 2018

Yes, that's why I disagreed a bit.  You can learn from other people's experiences, but you might not.  For exams, don't rely on others.  Ask them, yes, get everything you can from them, and value the advice.  But that's not going to get you a pass.  Your success is going to come from you knowing your subject.

@Roman Kirilenkosays "keep calm, don't panic and find your own way to pass" - This is absolutely correct, and a better way to put it than I have.  The things I have said are just part of "find your own way to pass".

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
May 7, 2018

@Jonathan Smith good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2018

@Monique vdBIf I don't post Thursday, you will know :P

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
May 7, 2018

🙃

fingers crossed.gif

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2018

Wishing you all the best!! 🤞🏼

Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 7, 2018

Best advice I have is for you to know that a lot of brilliatly smart people struggle with these exams too.  It isnt a measure to be used against your self. Retakes happen to even the best, and you will be more educated and prepared for that additional try.

Next best advice is to take your time, read the questions and answers carefully.  Make sure you uderstand what they are asking in the questions and that the answer fits the question as presented.  

Get a good nights sleep, eat a good meal. Take some time to relax.  A stressed brain wont recall the answers cleanly.  Know that no matter the outcome, you did your best in that moment.

You got this. @Jonathan SmithGo gett'em

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2018

Update: Took a trip over to the testing center so I knew where I was going... got to the classroom, and there is jackhammering going on next door. *Joy* #bosenoisecancelingheadphonesmaybe

#scratchthatboseistooexpensive

Monique vdB
Community Manager
May 8, 2018

Earplugs? :/

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2018

They do offer them! Should be ok; we all need to work in a chaotic environment when troubleshooting right?!

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2018

Thank you all again for the suggestions and comments.

General feedback:

• Results - I will be taking the exam again :(
  • Time: 150 minutes - still felt rushed
  • Questions on the test were way more complex versus the prep course

Next steps:

• Work on creating a test user account so I can see how non-admin users see the world.
  • Focus on permissions and space/pdf exporting

I did wish there was a "cheese macro" question.

- Jonathan

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2018

Sounds like you'll be phenomenally equipped to take it next time! You got this!

As my son likes to remind me, from one of our favorite cartoons:

ZmKRg0G

Monique vdB
Community Manager
May 10, 2018

I'm sorry you have to take it again but I have confidence that your persistence will pay off! Many a champion has had to take courses more than once. When is your take two happening? 

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2018

In 1-2 months; I need to look into space exporting and various other things a bit more before the retake.

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 25, 2018

Secretly took and PASSED ACP-200 today!

giphy-downsized.gif

Thanks everyone for the support!

Like Mendbayar likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 25, 2018

@Jonathan Smith CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 25, 2018

@Jonathan Smith so excitedddd for youuuuuu!!!!

Congratulations!!!!!

Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 25, 2018

Woo! Hoo!  Thats awesome!  Congratulations!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 25, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 10.35.59 AM.png

Here is your Dundie Award. :) 

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 26, 2018

Congratz @Jonathan Smith!

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 25, 2018

Congratulations

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 25, 2018

Congratulations! Next step: be a good Confluence administrator and don't stop adding new knowledge! :D

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events