Inserting a symbol to show required key presses?

Nicholas DeMarco July 7, 2020

Some documentation clearly shows what keys are required to perform a task. The Atom Flight Manual (for the Atom editor) is one example.

On this page, the manual tells you to press ctrl + left to move left one word. The keypresses (ctrl + left) are clearly shown in a shadowed box.

I've looked at the CSS to make this happen. Before I start cobbling something together on my own, is there a macro or other add-in to do something like this?

Yes, I have searched for keypress, keystroke. Most searches return results on how to assign macros to keystrokes.

1 comment

Joshua Sneed Contegix
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2020

Hi Nicholas,

It sounds like you're looking for Confluence's Keyboard Shortcuts. Cheers!

Hi Joshua, I'm supplementing my original question to make this more clear.

As a page editor, and within a confluence page (e.g. the Atom Flight Manual cited above), I should be able to clearly direct the page's reader to press a key sequence to perform some function (e.g. "press [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [Del]" to initiate self-destruct).

Is there a macro or other suggested way to show a nicer representation of the key?

Joshua Sneed Contegix
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2020

Hi Nicholas,

I do not believe there is any out of the box options that suit that need. There may be a plugin with similar functionality, but I was not able to find one in the marketplace. I do know that creating a page from a template allows for instructional text, but it does not persist if edited. You may want to consider creating a macro with this functionality. Cheers!

I suspected that might be the case. I'll add creating the macro to Jira. ;-)

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events