How do you pronounce Confluence?

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2018

My first Atlassian Summit was last year. During a training event on day 1, the presenter introduced himself and then noted the class topic "JIRA / cunFLUence" Integration. I did a double take after hearing him say CONfluence like that. At first I thought he was trolling the class... I guess I have been pronouncing it incorrectly for 2 years.

During your onboarding of Confluence into your organizations, did everyone default into calling it CON-fluence?

:)

4 comments

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2018

I laughed out loud when you wondered if he was trolling the class. 

I mean, dictionary.com says it's Con-fluence (junction of two rivers), which is how I've always pronounced it. I don't recall hearing anyone at the last Atlassian Summit call it Cun-fluence either. Weird!

People always pronounce things differently due to regional and language differences though. 

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2018

I think it was Matthew who also ran the prep course video :) He just stresses the FLU as we stress the CON.

"TomAto - ToMATO"

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2018

Ahhh, gotcha. In your original post you spelled out Cun-FLUence. 

First thought was uh... Cun is a weird way to say it. 

I'm picking up what you're putting down though. The weird google browser assistant accentuates the CON. Not that the other guy is doing it wrong, but definitely sounds like a regional difference. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2018

Matthew Stublefield?  He's caught me out on a couple of odd intonations, but to be fair, I tend to say things like "Lurry" when trying to say "Lorry" and "cheese log" instead of "wood louse" - all down to where I grew up.

The one I find odd when I hear it nowadays is Jira when it is pronounced "Gyre-a" instead of "Jeera"

Ada Chen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 2, 2018

Haha, that's hilarious. I've always found it funny when I hear someone say "gyr-a" instead of "gee-ra". 

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2018

Wouldn't mind seeing someone walk around the next Summit with a "gee-ra" T-shirt.

Shana
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 7, 2018

We'll look into it :)

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2018

We can put a Greek spin on it and call it Yee-ruh

Like Jennifer Barilla likes this
Alex April 16, 2021

So what is it now? CONfluence or conFLUence? Where's the emphasis?

The correct pronounciation of the dictionary word is clear, but is it a special case/proper noun they can name is as they like.

There must be the one and only correct way the founders, managers etc. call it right?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2021

It's just confluence.  Pronounced the same way you'd use the noun in a sentence that's not using it as a product name.  "There's a good pub at the confluence of the Thames and Fleet" for example.

Like Alex likes this
Alex April 16, 2021

Now that's an answer :-) Thank you very much!

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 19, 2021

HAHA! Glad this is still being discussed.

At least we are not calling it "Salesforce-ulence". 

Like Java Sparrow likes this
Kesha Thill
Atlassian Team
May 2, 2018

Hahaha! this is awesome. At Atlassian we don't put much emphasis on one part more than the other. Just Con-flu-ence. But now I just keep repeating the word to myself to see if I say it weird 🤷🏽‍♀️

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2018

No discrepancy with JIRA :D

Season
Atlassian Team
May 2, 2018

c047559c1d479745254372cbaa3a75bb.jpgfluence.

Like # people like this
Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2018

Hope you all have a great time at the upcoming Summit!

Hopefully will see some of you at the Vegas Summit in 2019!

jeera.jpg

Ada Chen
Atlassian Team
July 24, 2018

This is amazing, haha!

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2018

Got to love MS Paint. If I only had photoshop....

canderson8775 January 15, 2020

Not to resurrect and old topic... but I heard it conFLUence today; instead of english dictionary style CONfluence.  So I googled it and stumbled across this thread. Apparently, to each their own?  Here is what YouTube and Text to Speech engines have to say about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RvXWz2XW68 

Like # people like this
Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2020

@Ada Chen This would be a good panel topic at Summit 2020 ;)

Like Ada Chen likes this
Ada Chen
Atlassian Team
January 15, 2020

Noted, @Jonathan Smith ;)

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events