Has anyone experienced issues in Chrome or with zScaler?

Michael Payne October 3, 2019

Pages with lots of images or linked JIRA tickets become unusable in our Confluence Atlassian-hosted site in Chrome. They work in Firefox and IE 11, although they are slow in Firefox. All our web requests go through a web security / filtering appliance called zScaler. Has any experienced issues with zScaler and Confluence cloud or Chrome and Confluence cloud?

1 comment

Eric Marzano October 22, 2019

Hi Michael, 

Yes, my company uses both Chrome and zScaler and we are seeing similar behavior.   We're currently on the hunt for a fix.  

Like Michael Payne likes this
Michael Payne October 22, 2019

Eric,

Thanks for letting me know! I have a ticket open with Atlassian - they have been unable to duplicate our issues, but they don't have zScaler on their end of course. I have shared your response with the tech in the hope that they will begin to look into zScaler...surely we aren't the only organizations out there having this issue.

If we find anything that helps mitigate the issue, I will share here. If you could do the same, that would be great, thanks!

Mike

Like Eric Marzano likes this
Eric Marzano October 22, 2019

Sounds like a plan!  I came here looking to see if anyone else has run into this problem and was pleasantly surprised to see we weren't alone.  I had to check our employee directory to make sure you didn't work at our office as well :) 

For us, the issue seems to show up sporadically.  Sometimes it works fine, other times it is completely unusable.  Do you see the same behavior?  

Another good data point, we first noticed it a month or so ago.   When I saw your post was dated Oct 3, it seemed like the same time frame.   It is frustrating because it is hard to reproduce.  

Like Michael Payne likes this
Michael Payne October 23, 2019

On our end, they were maybe some sporadic issues when we first moved to the cloud (we had been on premise), but things first started to get worse sometime in July or August, but not severe enough to open a ticket. Then in early September things started to get very severe, and we opened a ticket 9/19/19. Our issues in Confluence are reproducible, and occur on pages with images (screenshots), or just lots of content like linked JIRA issues. The screenshots seem to be the killer though. So I am wondering if certain content gets caught up in the zScaler filter and either takes a long time to get through or maybe is getting blocked entirely.

But then we don't see these issues in Firefox, although page load times are still slow. So this makes me wonder if the JavaScript Atlassian is sending to the client is different for Firefox than Chrome OR zScaler just treats FF traffic differently OR FF traffic just happens to play nicer with zScaler than the way Chrome does things...or some combination of these.

Interestingly, the problems go away entirely in IE 11 (!), but IE 11 does not let us edit the Confluence pages so it's no use...

jennifer_mcteague@slc.co.uk November 6, 2019

Hi, I wonder if you can share your Atlassian ticket number.  We have the same issue.  I have an open ticket for a performance issue.  I have asked Atlassian if this is connected to Chrome and ZScaler but they have said they cannot confirm.

Michael Payne November 6, 2019

[Eric Marzano, please read also]
My ticket number was PSCLOUD-36751. I asked Atlassian to close the ticket last night, which they did. We are no longer having issues with errors because our central IT upgraded us from Chrome 77 to Chrome 78. There are changes in version 78 that may affect how traffic from the browser appears to zScaler or processes through it. It also may affect how the browser works with Confluence/JIRA. If you are not on version 78 (currently the most recent version), I strongly recommend upgrading on a machine and testing if possible, to see if that resolves or at least improves/mitigates the issue.

Having said this, our performance is still very slow on pages to which we have uploaded a large number of screenshots, or on which we have a large number of linked JIRA tickets, since these are represented by images. But the performance is less slow, and no longer causes errors or several images to fail to load. In testing, the worst I got was 1 image (of over 20) to fail to load, and no errors. Generally they all loaded if you waited long enough.

Eric Marzano November 6, 2019

Thanks for the update, we may give that a try.  

We ended up creating an exception in ZScaler to allow the Atlassian sites to bypass it.  Knock on wood, the complaints from users have gone away.  I hesitate to add the Atlassian sites back without doing some testing first.

Sam Corston May 18, 2021

Hi @Eric Marzano

Looks like I'm abit late to the party!
I'm troubleshooting Jira/Confluence slowness for my business, also on zScaler!

Did bypassing Atlassian sites in zScaler improve the slowness for you?

Thanks!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events