Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Force new users to be assigned to default LDAP group Confluence

saiprakash_avula April 25, 2018

Hi my confluence is connected to LDAP server where we centrally manage Users and Group.

I had a LDAP group "confluence-users" added to Global-Permissions and in User Directories also selected LDAP Permissions ---> Read only, with Local Groups and added "confluence-users" group to Default Group Memberships.

Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 12.06.33 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-25 at 12.06.11 PM.png

But when a new user is added they get automatically assigned to another "xyzzy-group" available in LDAP. Please suggest if there is any turn around to force new users to a particular LDAP group.

Thanks,

Sai 

1 comment

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2018

User Directories was such a pain for my first year. I had to chat with Atlassian support and SAML SSO vendor to figure this puppy out.

We created confluence-users group in Active Directory. This group is marked "can use" in global permissions just like how you have it.

We then have various groups nested within confluence-users (i.e. Confluence_Internet Confluence_Merchandising etc). Because of this, default group membership in the user directory setting is blank in our environment.

Seems like a lot of our environments are different, but here is a screenshot of our settings just incase you want to try something out.

ldap.jpg

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2018

Note: My setting does not set the default group once a user joins Confluence, that is handled upstream with the nested group examples.

saiprakash_avula April 26, 2018

Hi Jonathan, Thanks for trying to help me

I have followed all the steps to enable nested loops and remove from Default Group membership as well added the group to global permissions but still face the same issue. Can you please let me know if there is any other turn around. I'am using OpenLDAP server to connect.

Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 1.39.12 PM.png

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 26, 2018

@saiprakash_avulaAre you just trying to make sure confluence-users is added to their LDAP permissions automagically?

On the active directory side, when a user is put into their category, they will inherit confluence-users (which is added in the Confluence global permissions)

nested.jpg

Setting up internal directories can be tricky since all our environments are different. It might be worthwhile to create a support request with Atlassian if  you are in a time crunch.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events