Create mandatory username field for Confluence

Uditi Sur July 25, 2022

Hi All,

In my company there is a requirement for approval before creating/editing a page in a space.
Is it possible to create a custom field, that is a mandatory username field for the users to fill before creating/editing a page in Confluence?

Regards,
Uditi Sur

1 comment

Nicolai Sibler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2022

Hi @Uditi Sur ,

I'm not sure if I understood of what that field is supposed to do. Is its purpose to send a request to another user or user group to allow the user to create or modify content?

If so, the answer would be no.

What you could do out of the box is to have a space with read-only permissions as default and to let users ask the space admin to grant them writing privileges (you could use the text field in the Share-Dialogue of the space's homepage). On the page level, it's possible to restrict the right to modify to users or groups and the request could work the same way.

Of course, that'd be a bunch of work for the space admins so you may consider to get an app for that on the marketplace that provides a workflow which makes sure only approved pages are published. Have a look at Comala's solution, for example.

Hope that helps!

Kind regards,

Nicolai

Uditi Sur July 29, 2022

Hi Nicolai,

Thanks for your reply! I too think the approval from the Space admin would be unnecessary and take a lot of time of the space admins. 

Also getting an app would require a series of approval that I would not want to opt for right away. 

Is there a way to just mandate an editor of a page to enter their name before editing the page(just to keep a track) and not get involved in approval process.

Regards,

Uditi

Nicolai Sibler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2022

Hi Uditi,

it's a basic built-in feature in Confluence to track which user created/edited a page, when he did it and what he did. That's the page history.

Kind regards,

Nicolai

Uditi Sur August 1, 2022

Hi Nicolai,

I am thinking of a situation where there is a shared access used by a team, in that case can we track the individual editors using a custom username field or maybe some other work around? 

Regards,

Uditi

Nicolai Sibler
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 1, 2022

Of course not, that would contradict the basic idea and structure of Confluence.
(By the way: Even if there would be such a mandatory field, how should its content be validated? How useful is it if Superman and Mickey Mouse sign in as content authors? Confluence comes with validation: username and password at login).

Your company must decide whether it would rather save money on licenses or maintain traceability of what users are doing. You can't do both at the same time.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events