Confluence version convertion old to nowadays

OleksandrK November 28, 2019

Hi!

I've developed the software that is able to automate different software upgrades/migrations paths.

This is especially works for cases where manual upgrade efforts are outside of common sense.

So, now I'm testing my software to deal with a bit less than 1Tb of confluence data at version 3 to convert it to modern versions. It is impossible to convert all plugins, but confluence often used by big corporations to store different tech/non-tech knowledge bases.

I'm wondering if in the community there is any interest for my software to convert old PROD confluence to any target version? 

2 comments

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2019

Partly, but I am not sure how much.

I work for an Atlassian partner, and we do a lot of upgrades.  For Confluence upgrades, we quote at "hours" if the source version is Confluence 4 or above and the target is "latest".  Obviously, plugins/add-ons/apps, integrations and automations can add a LOT of time to that.

So, we would be interested in stuff that can

• Upgrade 3.x or lower to 7
  • Cope with all the apps that can be added
Like OleksandrK likes this
OleksandrK December 4, 2019

Hi,

Yes, it can do from <2.6 to 'latest', for plugins and other subcomponents can be applied custom 'handlers'. Handlers can be written for any non-upgradeable things so such can be upgraded in at least controlled way.

>>Cope with all the apps that can be added

Not sure, I understand this requirement. But, it is not confluence specific software.

It intendeds to be adoptable, but at the moment i'm testing it on a legacy confluence.

OleksandrK December 4, 2019

So, Are you interested to talk about solution I have?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2019

Actually, not really.  Confluence upgrades and migrations are incredibly simple from 4.x to latest, and there's hardly anyone left using lower versions - we do maybe two 1/2/3.x upgrades a year and the frequency of that is in decline (last couple of years has been 3, but 2019 is down to 1).  I'm sorry, but it's simply not worth writing "handlers" when they'd take longer than just dealing with it by hand.

OleksandrK December 8, 2019

Thank you Nic,

Ok, it is clear - the case I've made this software is unique, agree.

At the moment i'm using it as a scalable solution(few instances on separate servers), so users can request Spaces (or by list) that they need to migrate(Import XML/Export XML) that allows to bypass any manual operations at all. You simply tells to the software which space keys you want to copy to new Confluence, and as this software is in the middle it is upgrading Space(or some pages) with preserved structure. Is this case interesting in somehow?

OleksandrK December 3, 2019

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events