Confluence - "Aw, snap!" errors in Chrome

Dave H May 10, 2017

I'm trying to learn Confluence and just randomly get the "Aw, snap!" error in Chrome (with no technical detail) when clicking anything like Create or Publish or you name it.

Another developer has said he gets the same kind page-load failure in Firefox too.

We're not seeing what's causing this, but a Confluence KB page says it's because of too many tabs open in Chrome (but I don't get this error with any other site) as well as something to do with Gliffy... which we don't even have an account for and have never used, so the article's inadequate: https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/aw-snap-errors-in-google-chrome-746267327.html

Now what? This happens often and may be getting in the way of things being saved properly or our workflow, and I'm not seeing any solutions or even ways to troubleshoot it or even how to record data to report the bug.

2 comments

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2017

Might be worth contacting Atlassian directly via a support ticket for this at: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/

The KB article does say they'd love to hear from people getting the error, so hopefully mentioning the article will help.

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2017

See also: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-66191 (appreciate that's a JIRA related issue, but worth mentioning in case).

Here's the one about Confluence + Gliffy: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-39245 (again probably not directly relevant for you, sadly, but has the audit of how it progressed).

Dave H May 10, 2017

The "love to hear from you" links goes to just support.atlassian.com. I posted here because that link shows the Community link above the Contact button.

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 10, 2017

I think that's a bit of a general ploy by Atlassian to encourage people to try other avenues (read the docs, ask the Community) before bothering them with a support ticket.

Me replying to you here isn't costing them any money : )

Plus the route to support has change over the years, so it's possible that the KB used to point to a more direct way of contacting.

In this instance, I'd say you'd be safe just going straight for that contact button. I think that's what the KB means. They are usually very helpful.

Let us know how you get on. It'll help others in the community facing the same issue.

Dave H May 12, 2017

Sam, I don't think you're understanding that your suggestion to contact Atlassian didn't quite coalesce with your reasoning that they say they'd "love to hear from you", because that link only goes to a general page that includes a Community link at the top and a Contact link at the bottom, and I chose to use the Community link first, which goes along with your later reply that I should use that first, so your comments are a bit circular and maybe a little contradictory.

Anyways, I've already contacted them. Your helpful comments were the links, thanks. I won't read the reply to this.

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2017

Fair enough.

i'd be more interested to know if your your problem ever gets resolved.

if you do happen to read this, it would be great if you'd come back post any info or insights here to help others in the community.

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 11, 2017

Dave, do please open a support request (https://getsupport.atlassian.com) and include:

• How many tabs are open?
  • What Confluence version are you using?
  • How many users are online at the same time?

Of course a support zip attached to the ticket will also be useful to provide context about your instance. To create a support zip, please follow these instructions: Creating a Support Zip File via the Confluence Administration Console.

Dave H May 11, 2017

I reported it already. Sorry I don't know the ID number or whatever. I'm sure you can look it up.

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 11, 2017

I looked it up - you should have a response soon from Support.

Dave H May 11, 2017

thx

Dave H May 12, 2017

It would be nice to have gotten a confirmation email of the report with a number of some sort to track or reference.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events