Confluence file download approval mechanism

Matthew Mallard February 13, 2019

Does Confluence have the ability to allow an approval mechanism to users downloading file?

Example, user hits a request to download button or something and then a administrator is notified via e-mail to go and review the request and approve/reject.

1 comment

Mihai Schwarz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2019

@Matthew Mallard- no there is no such thing.

As a workaround you can create a page where you upload the document and restrict it to yourself. Put that link to a more accessible page and when someone wants to access the page/download it will notify you to approve their request.

I just tried testing that out with a peer and they simply got a permission error when attempting to access the link. No e-mail was sent to me, the owner of the locked down page. Is there additional configuration needed on the locked down page?

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2019

Correct - we secure to the page level, not the document level.  

Understood. But is there functionality that can be used to send an e-mail to the owner of the page, when unprivileged user attempts to access it like what @Mihai Schwarzdescribes above?

Mihai Schwarz
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2019

@Matthew Mallardin the newer Confluence versions if you provide a user the link to a page that doesn't have access, it will send in an email to the owner of the page and the space administrator.

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2019

I understand @Mihai Schwarz's suggestion by creating a restricted sub page that parses out the files however I am unaware of the "approval request" notification.

Restricted users will see a message that says "page doesn't exist or you don't have permissions". 

• No emails are generated to the page creator

~Confluence Server 6.6.1

Ahh ok. I'm working on upgrading our Confluence instance now actually so I'll look forward to that in the new version. I've been stuck with the task of upgrading from 5.8.5 to the latest and greatest. It's going to be quite a journey haha.

Thanks for the insight everyone.

Like Mihai Schwarz likes this
Mihai Schwarz
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2019

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events