Confluence decision log vs. Jira task

We are currently establishing confluence and jira in our company. We also want to use the "meeting notes" and "decision log" blueprints to manage meetings.

But one thing I am currently struggeling with is to differeate between when to create a decission in the decision log and when to create Jira tasks

Let me give you an example:
During a meeting it turns out that there is a specific task to within the project, that needs additional clarification and work to be done. We can now create a new decision log entry to specify and log progress on this job OR we can create a jira task.

For me the purpose of these approaches is identical and I am not sure what would be bast practice here? 

thanks in advance.

Martin

2 comments

I think that both tools could be used for the task you are describing. I assume that the decision blueprint is especially for users that have no JIRA.

I like to think of a decision as something that has impact on the future. You want to make sure that the reason for the decision and the alternatives that have been rejected are recorded for further reference. This includes decisions like why a certain software has been bought or this software architecture has been chosen. So you may need to provide more structured information and I prefer to put this to Confluence. See our decision blueprint as a possible structure for the information that may be relevant in the future (note that this blueprints requires commercial software to be used; I added the link for an example for how this information could be structured). If you need this detailed information, a decision blueprint could be the better solution.

JIRA provides - in my opinion - better support for tasks that need to be scheduled and tracked. So if the concern is tracking a task and not providing detailed information, you could use a JIRA task.

Davin Studer Community Champion Nov 09, 2017

I would say if you have JIRA use that. I think Confluence tasks are most helpful for organizations that do not have JIRA, or if the users the task is assigned to cannot log into JIRA. But if that is not the case I think JIRA is the place to put it.

Comment

Community showcase
Bridget Sauer
Published Jan 29, 2018 in Confluence

Showcase: How LinkedIn does Content Lifecycle Management (12 Steps)

LinkedIn, the world's largest business network has an exceptionally large Confluence instance. In their case, large means millions of pages and thousands of spaces. In this Showcase, we're focusing i...

512 views 0 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot