cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence 8 broken by incompatible add-ons

Neal Culiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2022

I installed confluence server 8.0.1 on my ubuntu server (20.04) and all has been fine until this update. Some of the apps were marked as not compatible, typically not a problem. This time though it shuts down confluence and it's unusable. I had to find the command line to launch confluence with all non system plugins disabled.

I would like to see Atlassian code this better so add-ons don't break the main app. An app should be marked as not compatible and skipped but instead add-ons are not allowing confluence to run at all.

Hopefully Atlassian can fix this behavior in an update soon so I can get confluence running properly and eventually get non compat add-ons updated.

3 answers

1 vote
Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2022

Hi @Neal Culiner ,

1. It is always suggested to try the upgrade process in your test server with your test server having the data synced from the production. This will help you find out any issues during upgrade, startup or later etc. 

2. When a plugin is marked incompatible, you should either upgrade them to compatible latest versions prior to the upgrade or atleast disable or remove them before upgrade process. 

And regarding the suggestion, you can raise it here https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa 

Here is the upgrade notes from Atlassian https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/confluence-8-0-upgrade-notes-1127254403.html

0 votes
Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2022

Hi @Neal Culiner ,

There will be changes to functionalities when there are upgrades. That is the reason apps also will be upgraded and you should check the compatible versions  in https://marketplace.atlassian.com/

Please note: Apps are not only developed by Atlassian, they are developed by Atlassian  Marketplace partners also.

If there is any issue with any apps, you should contact the vendor. 

Can you tell us which app and version had issues after upgrade ?

0 votes
Neal Culiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2022

I fully understand but if the product was coded properly it wouldn't crash from incompatible add-ons.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events