Can we install confluence in Centos8? Is CentOS 8 will support?

Teja October 7, 2019

Hi Team,

We are in a hurry to setup our development environment of confluence.

Can someone answer, Is CentOS8 will support confluence?

Thanks

2 comments

Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2019

Not sure which version you are installing, but it looks like it will. "Supported Platforms" states it will work with most Linux distributions, the only one it specifically says it will not work with is Alpine Linux 3.5 or earlier.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/supported-platforms-207488198.html

Like # people like this
James Bullock October 7, 2019

Is CentOS8 will support confluence?

Quick answer: probably; may take a little fiddling.

The friction points are net, when the distro wants to do something the app stack wants otherwise. If I were trying to do an commercial-grade install fast in one shot, I'd allocate a half-day on tap for each of a Centos-Guy,  java / app server-guy, and postgresql-guy.

Friction Points (Anybody, correct me if needed):

• Java versions: go with the default confluence install, with bundled run-time. Plan to monitor in case system updates bigfoot that. A "JRE / Tomcat, smart guy" can be useful for app server install and parameters.
  • Database, if postgreSQL: go with the distro bundled or sourced package, or the project bundled package for that distro. Postgresql does backward compantibility well. I have always run later versions than Atlassian specifies, with 0 problems. YMMV
    • "Just do it", the dbms configs in the setup guide: sort sequence, character encoding, etc. A "postgresql smart guy" is almost required, particularly for identity-wrangling and access. The identity, access, n network visibility is most of where the distro smart-guy is useful, too.
  • App client weirdness: can come in if the distro likes or presumes particular browsers or browser configrations.
  • System Service Wrangling: is often casual about bigfooting things that aren't done their way; annoying when their way is new, and they blow up backward compatibility. Java, app server, dbms, identity services and more are services that might get bigfooted this way.
    • You can get clipped by resource allocation n use monitoring, and service blocking, without immediately knowing it.

This sounds like a lot, but it's typical for any commercial-grade stack. And the Atlassian tools tend to have more transparency than most others, so it's easier to wrangler. YMMV.

Like Teja likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events