Best practice for regular meetings and their meeting-notes

Hey there ...

I am interested if you have any best practices or experiences how to handle meeting-notes for regular meetings. 

If having regular meetings it may be of interest to look into the previous meeting-note to catch up on what happened. This may be simple notes, but also to dos as known as action items.

In our organization it is quite common that people copy their previous meeting-note and simply adapt it, delete, add content, etc.

However, I see also some disadvantages using this method and I do not think that this is how it was designed for. 

(-) Content is repeatedly posted on pages which impacts searching/finding content

(-) Action items that are not checked, need to be transferred to the new meeting-note and deleted in the previous meeting-note

How are you handling this in your organization?

2 comments

Larry Brock Community Champion Oct 10, 2017

One effective strategy I've used is to create a parent page for each reoccurring meeting with some descriptive text about the meetings purpose and expected results plus three macros.  The first was a "create from template" macro-generated button that launched a new Meeting Notes page under that parent.  The second one listed the meeting note pages for each occurrence of the meeting.  The third listed all the incomplete action items from that series of meetings for quick review either during the meeting or any other time

Hope this helps!
--Larry

Thanks for your input Larry,

I'll consider this as well and it's a good idea to design it this way. The only thing I still not convinced is the copying of each meeting-note that happens in our organization. 

I believe it's a habit and has to do with our organizational culture. However, I do understand that it may be useful to do it this way if someone wants to go on with what happened the week before.

Still interested if others have to contribute something to this topic. 

Does anyone has the similar challenges? I think it is a scenario that actually everyone has to face in business. People come together week by week and go on discussing matters of the previous week. 

I just simply cannot believe that copying the previous meeting note week by week is the intended way of doing this.

Comment

Community showcase
Posted Oct 24, 2018 in Confluence

Atlassian Research opportunity with Confluence templates

Do you use templates with Confluence? Take part in a remote 1-hr workshop. You'll receive USD $100 for your time!   We're looking for people to participate in a   remote 1-hr workshop...

1,125 views 17 14
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you