It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Best practice for regular meetings and their meeting-notes

Hey there ...

I am interested if you have any best practices or experiences how to handle meeting-notes for regular meetings. 

If having regular meetings it may be of interest to look into the previous meeting-note to catch up on what happened. This may be simple notes, but also to dos as known as action items.

In our organization it is quite common that people copy their previous meeting-note and simply adapt it, delete, add content, etc.

However, I see also some disadvantages using this method and I do not think that this is how it was designed for. 

(-) Content is repeatedly posted on pages which impacts searching/finding content

(-) Action items that are not checked, need to be transferred to the new meeting-note and deleted in the previous meeting-note

How are you handling this in your organization?

4 comments

LarryBrock Community Leader Oct 10, 2017

One effective strategy I've used is to create a parent page for each reoccurring meeting with some descriptive text about the meetings purpose and expected results plus three macros.  The first was a "create from template" macro-generated button that launched a new Meeting Notes page under that parent.  The second one listed the meeting note pages for each occurrence of the meeting.  The third listed all the incomplete action items from that series of meetings for quick review either during the meeting or any other time

Hope this helps!
--Larry

Thanks for your input Larry,

I'll consider this as well and it's a good idea to design it this way. The only thing I still not convinced is the copying of each meeting-note that happens in our organization. 

I believe it's a habit and has to do with our organizational culture. However, I do understand that it may be useful to do it this way if someone wants to go on with what happened the week before.

Still interested if others have to contribute something to this topic. 

Does anyone has the similar challenges? I think it is a scenario that actually everyone has to face in business. People come together week by week and go on discussing matters of the previous week. 

I just simply cannot believe that copying the previous meeting note week by week is the intended way of doing this.

Like # people like this

Hi Markus, I am having the same dilemma, Have you had any progress?

having the same issue here. Still have no idea how to deal with double action items, if one copies the last meeting notes

blake I'm New Here Apr 07, 2020

It would be great if some moderator could follow this up?

I find it hard to see how it can work ongoing because good structured meetings follow the same agenda and OFTEN progress towards large critical tasks or issues that span at least a couple weeks, if not a whole quarter.

I'm also finding it really messy, copying across each week, then going into the last week and "ticking off" all the action tasks that aren't done so there's no double up.

Like Markus_Raab likes this

I have the same need. I'd like to create new meeting notes with actions from the previous discussions. I'd like to have a template that just pulls that in and doesn't duplicate action items, but rather rolls the text forward as discussion items.

Hi all, 

we work now with a workaround, which was recommended by our Atlassian consultant. The "old" tasks do NOT appear in the new protocol per se, but all old tasks are shown with the task report macro below the new protocol or on a separate page. 

greetings, Anna

Hi Anna,

could you give us a little bit more detail, how the workaround works?

We are facing the same issue also in our company here....

Kind regards,

Peter

Hi Peter, 

yes, surely. 

Lets say we have meetings notes from 5.11.19 and from today, the 5.12.19. 

From the meeting notes of 5.11 there are still tasks open. Those open tasks I dont have in my meeting notes of 5.12, (I delete them, because I copy the page from 5.11 and make necessary adjustments) but instead I have a link to a page on the todays protocol, which contains all the open tasks from the old meetings --> Task report. 

The meetings notes of 5.12 I publish AFTER the meeting, so the new tasks of the todays meeting do not appear, while we check DURING the meeting the older tasks on the taskreport. 

The taskreport shows alle the tasks with the labels "product name" and "meeting notes". 

One screenshot of a meeting note you can find below, I hope it helps you.

many greetings, Annaexample how we work now in Confluence with the tasks.png

Like peter.egger likes this

Comment

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

What project did you transition or start on Confluence with the shift to remote work?

It’s been great to hear from fellow users over the last few weeks about the best tips and fun moments you’ve had working on Confluence since the transition to working remote. I’d love to keep the c...

39 views 2 4
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you