It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage
Highlighted

Anybody else think the new search engine sucks?

Anybody else think the new search engine sucks?

I can't get any good results.

I'm trying to search "sslvpn-lax10" and it's giving me every result for lax10 or sslvpn.

Am I doing it wrong?

2 comments

Davin Studer Community Leader Jun 05, 2020

Have you tried quoting your search? That is an exact term search meaning it will only pull back pages where the terms in the quotes are exactly matched in the page. If you leave the quotes off Confluence is trowing out the "-" and seeing two search terms sslvpn and lax10 and it is doing an implied OR between the term. The below search (with the quotes) should only pull back pages with sslvpn-lax10 in them. I tested this on my system by creating three pages. One had sslvpn-lax10, one had sslvpn, and one had lax10. When I searched for sslvpn-lax10 without the quotes I saw all three pages in the results. When I search using quotes I only saw the one page.

"sslvpn-lax10"

Well, yes.

You can't search for parts of words you need to type the entire word for it to try to match anything.

Davin Studer Community Leader Jun 11, 2020

You can search for parts of words using the ? and * search wildcards.

I would get that if the Search box wasn't "live"

But in a Live search box, just assume that I want "*<searchstring>*" all the time 

Davin Studer Community Leader Jun 12, 2020

I think it is a bit of six of one half a dozen of the other. For instance if you assume wildcards all the time then anytime you want exact terms you would have to quote every term like such.

"foo" "bar" "baz"

Confluence uses a product called Lucene for the search aspect and that is how Lucene works. The search engine isn't actually developed by Atlassian.

Comment

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence Cloud

What's New in Confluence Cloud – July 2020 Edition

Here’s another edition of “What’s New” this month in Confluence Cloud. Quickly (and more easily) adjust permission settings We know that sometimes the layers of space permissions and page restric...

704 views 3 8
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you