Anybody else think the new search engine sucks?

Takahiro Masuda x9012 June 4, 2020

Anybody else think the new search engine sucks?

I can't get any good results.

I'm trying to search "sslvpn-lax10" and it's giving me every result for lax10 or sslvpn.

Am I doing it wrong?

5 comments

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 5, 2020

Have you tried quoting your search? That is an exact term search meaning it will only pull back pages where the terms in the quotes are exactly matched in the page. If you leave the quotes off Confluence is trowing out the "-" and seeing two search terms sslvpn and lax10 and it is doing an implied OR between the term. The below search (with the quotes) should only pull back pages with sslvpn-lax10 in them. I tested this on my system by creating three pages. One had sslvpn-lax10, one had sslvpn, and one had lax10. When I searched for sslvpn-lax10 without the quotes I saw all three pages in the results. When I search using quotes I only saw the one page.

"sslvpn-lax10"
Maltavius January 25, 2022

It shouldn't throw out things I search with.

If It gets hits with sslvpn-lax10 it should show them, if it in addition to that also showed hits for sslvpn and lax10 that might be OK.

Maltavius June 11, 2020

Well, yes.

You can't search for parts of words you need to type the entire word for it to try to match anything.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2020

You can search for parts of words using the ? and * search wildcards.

Maltavius June 12, 2020

I would get that if the Search box wasn't "live"

But in a Live search box, just assume that I want "*<searchstring>*" all the time 

Like WolframS likes this
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2020

I think it is a bit of six of one half a dozen of the other. For instance if you assume wildcards all the time then anytime you want exact terms you would have to quote every term like such.

"foo" "bar" "baz"

Confluence uses a product called Lucene for the search aspect and that is how Lucene works. The search engine isn't actually developed by Atlassian.

WolframS October 7, 2020

Hm - frankly speaking.. yes. Many users already mentioned that the new panel search got worse: 

• the differenciation of the types is not that clear anymore, respectively the hitlist is a mix up of all types
  • hitting ENTER doesn't direct you to the advanced search (this was sold as a feature - for us it's a bug :-) )
  • "advanced search" is far too little and not intuitive that THIS text link forwards you to the "old" search 

So - from our perspective the usability got worse. Furthermore the users expects that the search will finde parts of the words like *word* - I agree with Ddavin Studer.

Like Andrew Dillon likes this
Justin Fortier February 3, 2022

Confluence search, and the left panel are worse than ever before. Things that were easy to find before are now difficult. Not impressed with Confluence product as whole. Leaves a lot to be desired in a corporate environment.

Mushon Nachmani
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 18, 2023

check okami confluence plugin

Mushon Nachmani
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 18, 2023

we solved it by providing GPT4 with Confluence and semantic search
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1230358/kami?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events