Am I using Confluence incorrectly?

Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2019

Hi everyone,

For me, it's the first time I'm admin for Confluence, but I'm a long time user of this platform.

Few days ago we decided to use Confluence in my company and I'm the one who's doing the admin work, in addition to Jira Service Desk for our support team.

My company has one single big team but running three projects.

When I started to create spaces, I followed the idea of each project will have a space, a knowledge base space for external clients for our Jira Service Desk, spaced based on relevance like UI/UX space and the company's space with office related stuff.

Where's the problem?

Each space has a different template, such as Documentation, Team, Software Development.

Only our customer-facing knowledge base space is a knowledge-base template.

In each space, there's a dedicated How-To page for relevant how-to articles for that space.

Now when I think of it, I should have created a 2nd internal knowledge base space and have all the how-to articles there and not in the other spaces.

Did I actually use Confluence incorrectly?

Do you do the same or do you use how-to articles in a dedicated KB space for internal use?

1 comment

Johan Soetens _Dumblefy_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2019

Hi Gil,

your existing spaces can easily be modified so that they look as being created from a different space blueprint.

The templates can be enabled from Space tools > Content Tools > Templates

Homepage, links can be copied/recreated from another space with the desired template.

Kesha Thill
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2019

Hi @Gil - @Johan Soetens _Dumblefy_ is correct. Even if you have chosen different Space templates (knowledge base, project space, etc.), you are still able to access all native Confluence templates when you create a page, regardless of which space you are in. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events