Accidental upgrades to the new editing experience

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 6, 2019

Hi team,

This is Avinoam from Confluence again. In previous posts I’ve been sharing the new features we’ve been adding to the Confluence Editor, but in the spirit of Open company no bulls**t, this post is about something different - an apology.

Our backend team had recently been working on database migrations in order to improve site performance. Unfortunately, as a result of this, our algorithm treated some of the migrated sites as ‘new’ and turned on the new editing experience for those sites (~0.5% of all sites), on all of their pages - without any advance notice.

Sudden changes like this, we know, can be incredibly disruptive and jarring. This is not how we release features, and our team swarmed on this to fix it as soon as we found out.

We’re also sending out emails and in-app notifications to everyone affected letting them know what happened, and giving them instructions on how they can convert their pages back to the old editing experience if they so wish.

You can find those instructions on our docs site, but if you need more information or have any other questions, we’re happy to answer them here.

We’re sorry, we messed up. Please let us know if there’s anything else we can do to help.

Regards,

Avinoam.

10 comments

Marty
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 6, 2019

One of the things I love about working for Atlassian is this kind of blog post.

It's open, honest and human.

Like Sai Ramanathan likes this
Phuong Tran March 6, 2019

Totally agree :)

Like Marty likes this
Joao Correia March 6, 2019

You got me scared for a second there! :) Let's work together to make new editing better than "old" one!. Count me in @Avinoam !

Like # people like this
sang-hyeok March 7, 2019

In fact, I was really kin to using new experience. I will looking forward when it applied my site again <3 

Like # people like this
Nina Lu March 7, 2019

Did not work to correct the formatting when I followed the instructions to revert back to an old version and then revert back to the latest version..

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
March 7, 2019

I'm sorry to hear @Nina Lu ! I'll reach out via email ASAP.

Like Marty likes this
Patricia March 7, 2019

Hello @Avinoam ,

I just tried that for one of the documents and had "Something went wrong after loading the editor. Copy your unsaved changes and refresh the page to keep editing." appear. And could not do anything to move away from this error.

Thank you.

Like Marty likes this
Patricia March 7, 2019

Have tried to revert documents again which did not work. At the bottom, noticed it also said "Can't reach the server. Check your internet connection, and we'll keep trying to reconnect you." but I am connected to the internet with no issues to other pages.

Like Marty likes this
Avinoam
Atlassian Team
March 8, 2019

@Patricia I've opened a support ticket on your behalf and already emailed it to you. You'll be contacted shortly to help resolve this!

Sadikin Halim March 7, 2019

Hi @Avinoam 

I had tried to revert this impact by doing the steps in : https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/blog/2019/03/accidental-upgrade-to-the-new-editing-experience

but, when i tried to publish my documents like one of the steps.. i am getting nowhere. (i think there is error)

Can you help me to check it out?

Untitled.png

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
March 8, 2019

@Sadikin Halim I'll be reaching out to you via email asap to help get this resolved.

Edo Prawiratama March 10, 2019

Hi @Avinoam could you reach me via email as well? I'm not sure with the reverting procedures and my concern is to keep the document safe. Thank you.

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
March 11, 2019

Absolutely @Edo Prawiratama ! 

Tran Ban Thien March 7, 2019

I was very happy using the new version. The next day when it came back to the old one, I was really sad and tried hard to find the new update.

Please, the new version is much much nicer to use and to organize a page. I'm looking forward to the final version to be rolled out.

Keep up your good works!

Like Avinoam likes this
Avinoam
Atlassian Team
March 8, 2019

Thanks @Tran Ban Thien ! I'll reach out to you via email to follow up.

Jan Tenhaven April 29, 2019

I perfectly agree with Tran.

Please tell me how to use the new experience version.

Thank you very much! :)

greetz,

Jan

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
April 29, 2019

@Jan Tenhaven will follow up via email shortly!

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
March 14, 2019

Hi all, let's talk?

Nitesh Tiwari July 27, 2019

We are also facing this issue. We currently set up new confluence site.

When we are trying to create a new page It's coming in Centered format.

No option to convert it to the old left-aligned view.

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
July 29, 2019

@Nitesh Tiwari you should have a toggle to the right of the breadcrumbs, just about the page title, inside the editor that will allow you to make the page full width an have all content left aligned.

Felipe Dominguez September 28, 2020

Hello,

I suddenly got into this problem, the page I am working on have moved for left to right. there is no way to put it back.

It seems a lot of people have the same issue. Why don´t you just post the solution in clear, instead of giving links to pages that contain either nothing or too much information that is not use full.

Yo can not find anything at his lik¡nk: https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/blog/2019/03/accidental-upgrade-to-the-new-editing-experience

any help?

thanks

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events