Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access content of a table from user macro

Michal Michal February 4, 2020

Hi, I would like to create an user macro which gets content from a table. The table is on a different page from the one where the user macro i placed. 

Is it possible to access content of a table on another page from an user macro?

My final goal is to create an user macro which lists all incoming links, but only those which are placed in a specific table on other pages. 

2 comments

Andrej Freeze _ greenique
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2020

Hello @Michal Michal 

have you wrapped the table in a Page Properties Macro? Doing so, allows you to create a Page Property Report. Here you can define a label, and receive results of the table in a centralized list, showing only entry types you defined.

For more information take a look at the official documentation of the page properties macro and the page properties report

Cheers,

Andrej

Michal Michal February 4, 2020

Thanks, I know the Page Properties Macro and this is not what I want to do. 

I want to extract content of a specific table (or part of a table) and use that content in a user macro. 

Andrej Freeze _ greenique
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2020

Sorry to hear that this did not help you. In case the content is within a single cell of the table, or consists of the whole table, you could also use the excerpt macro. But this seems to be far less than what you are trying to achieve.

Having the page properties macro as a base, you could create a user macro that does exactly that, but maybe someone else will have a better idea 😊 

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2020

My first thought would be that you could create a user macro with a parameter to select a page. That parameter will create a velocity variable that you could pop into some JavaScript to do a REST call to get the contents of the page. From there it would be parsing through the page storage format with JavaScript.

I would tend to use JavaScript for this in a user macro instead of velocity. It's actually not too hard to get the page content with velocity, but since velocity is really only a page templating language there aren't very good/easy ways to parse though the page storage format with it.

Michal Michal February 7, 2020

I too think that I should go for JavaScript. Selecting a page is not an issue. I will use the incoming links. 

Michal Michal February 8, 2020

Well, I try to get the content of a page but I keep getting 404 page not found error. 

function getContent()
{
jQuery.ajax({
url: "/rest/api/content/77562249",
type: 'get',
dataType: 'html',
async: false,
success: function(data) {
    var h = document.createElement("H1");  
    var t = document.createTextNode(data);
    h.appendChild(t);
    document.getElementById("div1").appendChild(h);