Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sign up Log in

Next challenges

Recent achievements

  • Global
  • Personal


  • Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given


  • Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

A cautionary tale: Confluence to Word to Confluence


Just writing this in the hopes that it'll help someone to avoid the same experience.

A couple of weeks ago, I wanted to create a great big table, for the status of all pages descending from a certain one. The children display macro was the obvious starting point.

I was uncertain if I wanted the end product of this to be in Word or Confluence, but I needed at least to do text-to-table in Word. Child display macro output = column 1. This would have 6 columns, in the end, but those others could be added in Confluence. Or not.

And right here is where I went wrong. Instead of copying in Confluence and pasting to Word, I apparently exported from Confluence, because I just tested this and was able to reproduce what happened. (I think I was concerned about too large an amount of data in the paste buffer).

And I didn't realize this had happened, for all links to in-wiki pages. Fictionalized example:



Then copied and pasted back into Confluence. And I've only realized now, about two weeks later, that those file:// links don't work. I have a broken in-wiki link for every row of that table, and there are many rows. Find-and-replace doesn't find the "file://." I've got some work ahead of me.

Under the general heading of...


Pat O'Connell
Technical Writer
MindGeek Montreal

1 comment

Bill Bailey Community Leader Aug 31, 2019

Well you need the confluence-source-editor. THis will allow you to edit the actual source of the page, and then use Regex (If you need to ), to find all the fill:// instances and replace with https://. Boom! In five minutes, your problem is solved.

The source editor is essential when working with content brought in from Word, to clean out a lot of junk that comes in.


Log in or Sign up to comment
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence Cloud

Please tell us how you use Confluence space settings

Hi there, a few of us at Atlassian would love to learn about how you use "space settings" functionality in Confluence. A facelift to the space settings is long overdue and we want to start with impro...

313 views 11 8
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you