What's New in Confluence Cloud – February 2020 Edition

34 comments

Steve Revill February 19, 2020

I may be blind, but I cannot see any analytics link on the top page of a space, only on the subpages. This seems like rather a gaping hole in the feature.

And am I the only one who finds it inconsistent to find the "Analytics" link under the page title, whereas everything else you'd expect to see or do relating to page 'admin' is located under the "..." menu, including "Page information"?

Like Dennis T likes this
Tim Clipsham
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 19, 2020

Thanks all for the encouragement and the questions. I’ll answer each of these across several responses, so if I haven’t answered your question yet, know that I’ll do my best to get answers to them all.

Is there API for the Analytics feature?

@Move Work Forward not at this stage. There’s a ticket tracking this suggestion at the link below, so I encourage you to vote and watch. If you have any useful insights regarding how you might use this API, leave a comment on the ticket – this helps us better understand the value it would provide and helps us weigh up the priority of the requests.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-67453

Does this feature work only for pages created using the new editor?

@Trudy Claspill as you’ve already discovered, it works on all Confluence Cloud pages 🙂.

- It is not available for Standard edition… can you clarify, please?
- I am using Analytics for months already.. How is that became "new"? What am I missing?
- This is a premium feature does not apply to our edition!

@Alex Rouk we launched analytics on Premium back in August last year – you might already be a Premium customer. This announcement is explaining that we’ve brought analytics on pages into the Standard edition.

@Prafulla_kenjale_e and @Wagner Fraga - if you’re using Standard edition, then you should have access to page analytics. The “Analytics” link should appear underneath a page title. If it’s not appearing, open a support ticket so we can take a deeper look and fix any issues.

- Can you use this to see which pages are most popular across the space?
- How do i see the performance across an entire site/space? I don't want to have to go into every page individually

@Laura and @Matt Sweetnam, the Premium edition has a more advanced view showing analytics at the space-level that lets you see the most popular pages in a space, and a site-level view that show activity across the whole site (see Premium pricing). Page analytics in Standard edition shows you the activity for each page individually.

For Premium, check out the documentation on space insights and site insights, or you can also test out the full analytics functionality yourself by starting a free 30-day Premium trial.

…That's what, an hour combined of dev and QA time?

@Tom Crowley you have no idea how much I wish that was the case! 😆Interestingly enough, Confluence users view a lot of pages daily and it took months of work.

Does "admins and end-users" basically mean everyone who has access to the Confluence site?

@Annina Chrystal glad to hear you like it! 😊 Any authenticated user (admins / end-users) can access this information which helps every content creator improve their pages. However, an “anonymous user” on a site with public access can not view analytics.

…it's not what is described in this article.

@Bernard Welter / @Production Management you’re right, some of the analytics information is only available in Premium. We’ve updated the post to better reflect reality. I’m sorry for any confusion this caused.

What we’ve brought to Standard edition helps all content creators in Confluence know if their page is being discovered (i.e. total page views) and how far across the org it has travelled (i.e. total users viewed).

Tim Clipsham
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 19, 2020

...I cannot see any analytics link on the top page of a space, only on the subpages...

Thanks for raising this @Steve Revill, it's a known issue and I agree we could make that experience better. Analytics can also be found in the 3 dots "..." menu, which should allow you to view analytics on the top page of a space (aka the space overview page).

I've created a new ticket to keep track of this: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-69414

Tom Crowley February 20, 2020

@Tim Clipsham My apologies. I assumed, possibly wrongly, that Atlassian had simply taken a feature that was already available to Premium subscribers (or developed as part of the Premium analytics feature) and enabled it for Standard subscribers instead of focusing on reintroducing other requested (and previously used) features that are no longer available for people who have been switched to the new editor. 

The rollout, direction, and development of the Fabric editor for Confluence Cloud has left me somewhat jaded, and it is the cynic in me who reads these release updates. Consider me duly chastened.

Production Management February 20, 2020

Find those excellent performing pages again quickly with this month’s power feature. Skip the search and set aside important pages with the starred button.

I did find. This is how it looks like. Half of screen - a graph of Views (well, OK, but how can I use it?), another half - blurred something with big banner Buy more. This is really a power feature. But I cannot get the reason to pay for it, it is mystery. And its mystery is only exceeded by its power (c)

Annotation 2020-02-20 104919.png

Like Sam Huffman likes this
Tim Clipsham
Atlassian Team
February 23, 2020

…a graph of Views (well, OK, but how can I use it?) … I cannot get the reason to pay for it, it is mystery. And its mystery is only exceeded by its power (c)

@Production Management here’s a few situations the Standard analytics features can help with:

1. Understand if a reference documentation page is still discoverable, e.g. after reorganizing your space
    (using the chart of activity with the date filters)

2. Know if your meeting agenda has been seen before the meeting
    (using the “Page views” count in the analytics dialog)

3. Understand the reach of a news blog or quarterly update page
    (using the “Users viewed” count in the analytics dialog)

There’s some more information about the value of Premium in this webinar (starting at 22:25), and you can also test out the full analytics functionality for yourself by starting a free 30-day trial, no bubble wrap required 😉.

Marian Vidra February 26, 2020

This seems to be a handy feature but as it was already mentioned here, the table functionality is really poor and needs some improvement. 

Like Jon R likes this
Jon R April 8, 2020

Please stop and concentrate on sorting all the New Editor feature regressions.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events